• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why agent ask about rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why agent ask about rates

I just chatted with an agent about a gig. I stated what rate i'd want.

I was asked several times what rate I'm on. Why is this useful information for the agent? So they know how to back fill you at max margin should you move out of your current gig?

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    I just chatted with an agent about a gig.

I was asked several times what rate I'm on. Why is this useful information for the agent? So they know how to back fill you at max margin should you move out of your current gig?
    It is "janet and John" recruitment practice. He needs to weigh up your cost against the expectations of the client. Any agent who does not immediately weigh up the cost and what to charge is useless.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      It is "janet and John" recruitment practice. He needs to weigh up your cost against the expectations of the client. Any agent who does not immediately weigh up the cost and what to charge is useless.
      Sorry, you replied before I made my edit.

I stated what rate I want. Why did they push to know my current rate?

Comment

It just dawned on me. If the agent knows you are on X but want Y, they are thinking "yeah you might want Y but you'll work for X".

Your current rate tells them how far they can try and screw you down from what you are after.

Comment

It just dawned on me. If the agent knows you are on X but want Y, they are thinking "yeah you might want Y but you'll work for X".

Your current rate tells them how far they can try and screw you down from what you are after.
          Wow, you're a fooking genius
          Cretin.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Wow, you're a fooking genius
            Cretin.
            At least I'm w**king all day and not w**king all day.

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Sorry, you replied before I made my edit.

I stated what rate I want. Why did they push to know my current rate?
                  Perhaps he's just doing market research, perhaps he wants to phone your clientco and undercut you.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                    one of the words is working the other is w**king

Comment

Working...
                    X