• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rental Prepay fuel cheaper than pump price

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental Prepay fuel cheaper than pump price

I regularly hire a car for weekends use as I don't need to own one currently. I've noticed the Europcar sign saying you can prepay and get a tank of fuel for £1.20 a litre - when the typical pump price is around £1.35-£1.40 where I live.

Any ideas how they do this? Is it a tax fiddle, or reclaim or do they bank on a lot of people coming back with a fuel gauge that isn't on 'E'?

I'd do it. expect that most weekends I'm only pottering about and use only 1/4 to 1/3, so usually opt to fill it up before I go back. Next time I plan on a long trip to the south coast it might be worth prepaying.
    Signed sealed and delivered.

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
    I regularly hire a car for weekends use as I don't need to own one currently. I've noticed the Europcar sign saying you can prepay and get a tank of fuel for £1.20 a litre - when the typical pump price is around £1.35-£1.40 where I live.

Any ideas how they do this? Is it a tax fiddle, or reclaim or do they bank on a lot of people coming back with a fuel gauge that isn't on 'E'?

I'd do it. expect that most weekends I'm only pottering about and use only 1/4 to 1/3, so usually opt to fill it up before I go back. Next time I plan on a long trip to the south coast it might be worth prepaying.
    Before I had my Golf Diesel, I used to own a Petrol car. I had to travel down to Swansea and back on the same day. I Hired out a Ford Focus 1.8 Turbo Diesel (can't remember exact model). Took 4 passengers with me. At the time the pre-pay tank cost £40 or so and the rental cost £35. So total for 5 people to make a round trip stood at £75. Had I gone in my car it would have cost me extra on fuel (old inefficient petrol) and I would have done 500 miles on the clock (+ used tired etc more).

Great value for money if you ask me - cheers Avis

Comment

Working...
    X