• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anybody here fly model aeroplanes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody here fly model aeroplanes?

Just had my first experience with a friends and it's very good fun (I've ordered a replacement ). I took delivery of a Skywalker X8, which when completed will be used for first person view / autonomous flight, recording and sending back live video as it does its thing flying by GPS waypoints. Meanwhile a trainer and all the necessary bits will be here later in the week.

Advice / abuse welcome as always...
    Me, me, me...

I'd love to one day. Especially with the modern development of being able to video or even live-stream without spending a bundle, that just sounds awesome to fly a plane and see what it sees. A whole new realm of amateur photography, etc.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I'd love to one day. Especially with the modern development of being able to video or even live-stream without spending a bundle, that just sounds awesome to fly a plane and see what it sees. A whole new realm of amateur photography, etc.
      Search YouTube for Skywalker X8 vids, awesome.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

lol
        I've a six foot glider hanging from the rafters in the garage.

I used to be nifty at building the rubber powered versions (with doped tissue paper skins), but they changed the skins (to poly, stretched with a hairdryer), so I only built one glider recently

never built an enine powered model though

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          lol
          I've a six foot glider hanging from the rafters in the garage.

I used to be nifty at building the rubber powered versions (with doped tissue paper skins), but they changed the skins (to poly, stretched with a hairdryer), so I only built one glider recently

never built an enine powered model though

Much easier these days. The X8 and trainer are both foam with electric motors. The X8 will be be computer controlled carrying two video cameras, the trainer is just to learn to fly model aircraft. Electric motors have an endurance of anything up to 1.5 hours so can send the X8 off into the blue yonder fully autonomously or fly it wearing goggles with a live video feed so I have a pilot's perspective which I'm more used to.

I remember building a model Cessna 150 powered by a pigskin band instead of rubber. Weeks of cutting out balsa, getting glue everywhere and doping tissue paper. First flight wrecked it.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Sound interesting but, unless you live next to a big open moorland or something, I would be worried about losing sight of it or having it come down on private land somewhere, causing damage and/or not being able to find it. How do you tackle those issues?
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

He lives next to a big open moorland or something.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I used to do balsa wood ones. I don't agree with all this foamy bollocks.

The electric power has come on. Pretty impressive these days.

You want a spread spectrum radio i think.

You need to check the law if you're planning on letting it fly itself on gps, you probably need a license for that sort of thing. I'm happy to be contradicted on this though.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Sound interesting but, unless you live next to a big open moorland or something, I would be worried about losing sight of it or having it come down on private land somewhere, causing damage and/or not being able to find it. How do you tackle those issues?
                  I live in the country and friendly with a few of the local farmers who're happy to let me fly in fields empty of animals. Also about to join a club where I can get some training, certification etc.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

I saw some impressive ones on top of white horse hill in Westbury last month. I was more distracted by the 20 stone guy who was waiting for the wind to die down so he could set off on a paraglider.

What was interesting was he said it was possible to fly down to Southampton and then over to the Isle of Wight. Well, the Isle of Wight discussion was interesting. He said he'd never done it but as you hit the coast you lose the up air flows and drift slowly across the sea with squeaky pants all the way.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X