• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shock - Car Insurance Renewal less than last year!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock - Car Insurance Renewal less than last year!!

Good lord, for the first time in living memory. £80 cheaper this year!

Are premiums starting to reduce after all the fuss over spurious whiplash claims ?

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Are premiums starting to reduce after all the fuss over spurious whiplash claims ?
    Maybe you're now officialy middle aged and therefore a lower risk profile.

You could spend that £80 on a nice new cardy from Marks'

Comment

Must be a mistake. Phone them up and ask them to quote you a higher value so you can shop around.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Don't get me started on Insurance Companies

Wifey parked her 1 week old car in Supermarket car park & while she was inside shopping, a dopey driver reversed out of the bay opposite & struck the front end, looked around to see if anyone had seen and promptly drove off!
        But 2 guys in a car had witnessed and waited for wife to return, gave the vehicle reg and their details as witnesses.

We waited 24 hours and then went to the police to report an accident ...long story short - police visited the other driver who admitted driving off - said it was a moment of madness & police decided to take no further action - anyway got her insurance details - hire car arranged any it was taken away for it to be repaired; a week later got the vehicle back looking like new & thought no more of it until I came to renew my 4x4 insurance for which the wife is a named driver - they wanted a £55 premium for adding her - even though her accident was a no fault claim they rated -i.e. increased- premiums for any no fault claim!!

Found out subsequently that many insurance companies do the same and I'm currently in discussions to reclaim the the 3 (vehicles in the family) x £55 for future premiums per car for the 5 years that you have to declare any accidents

barstewards
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Mine went down £50 for naming the Mrs on my policy and hers went down £65 by naming me

Don't understand it but not complaining about it.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Just got some quotes for my renewal in 4 weeks, and was surprised at how low some of the quotes were. £240 for a Jaguar S-Type R (that's the 400bhp one), me 35 and the wife 32.

Comment

Originally posted by amoeba View Post
              Just got some quotes for my renewal in 4 weeks, and was surprised at how low some of the quotes were. £240 for a Jaguar S-Type R (that's the 400bhp one), me 35 and the wife 32.
              Bloody hell, that's still a lot less than I'm paying for a simple A3 diesel

And I'm a lot older than you

Comment

My 6 points stopped counting this year so my premium dropped a fair bit. Both mine and the wife's went down when we added each other as additional drivers to each others car and it's still £400 cheaper than "cheap for the first year then ramp it up" Admiral Multi-car

Comment

Hmm I'm not sure so those claims have anything to do with it, here's my recent experience that says its the bloody companies that are taking the micky.

Insured with Admiral.

Stopped waiting to turn right in my 4,500 quid year 2000 MR2 roadster
                  Just passed 17 year old rides straight into the back of it and admits full responsibility, saying he's on his mums multicar policy will I deal in cash.
                  I go get a quote to repair at the local Toyota garage, they say 1200 quid.
                  Kids mum says its too much.

Goes to insurace company...

His insurance company call me, begging me to accept 1200 quid for the repair + an extra 800 to spend however I see fit.

I'm very suspicious , so reject it, the guy is unhappy and explains that admiral will ramp the costs up to the tens of thousands and I'll wait ages for my car.

He was spot on - here's what happened.

Within 1 day my car was taken away for repairs at an "approved" repairer
                  The same day a brand new Alfa Romeo Spider convertible, with 500 miles on the clock as "an equivalent car" charged out, again through an "approved" supplier, for 300 pounds per day.

30 days later, I get my car back, half repaired ....

So I didn't get a good repair, and Admiral managed to fleece 10 grand out of the other insurance company..

Thats why insurance is so expensive, why it needs regulating and also why (in my view) it shouldn't be compulsory (look New Zealand etc).

The final insult was, when it came to renewal, they counted the accident (even though I wasn't as fault) and tried to charge me 300 quid more per year , bringing my premium - with no points / convictions etc to 1400 quid for a year.

Absolute piss take.

Comment

I fail to see how they can see you as being a greater risk when you are clearly not at fault with any part of the accident. Surely that is just taking the pi55.

My car is a 55 plate Mondeo. Its locked in a residents only garage in the flat and in the past 2 months its done, on average, 1 mile a week!!! So its worth fec all, does fec all but becuase the address is London, direct line wanted over £600 I would get shut of it but periodically I have to use it to drive home via Worcester to pick up my son.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X