• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unlocked iPhone 5 - Can someone explain?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlocked iPhone 5 - Can someone explain?

The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a contract commitment. You can activate and use it on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice. The unlocked iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 will not work with CDMA-based carriers. An unlocked iPhone 5 may not support LTE networks in all other countries; contact service providers for details.
    Can someone explain to me in real terms what this means?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Can someone explain to me in real terms what this means?

Thanks!
    Its explained here in your own post

http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...ml#post1610551
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

from here

Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) and Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) are two competing standards in cellular service. They both have derivatives for use with 3G phones known as Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) and CDMA2000, respectively. The major difference between the two technologies is how they turn voice data into radio waves and how the carrier connects to the phone. Other differences include the coverage area, the data transfer speeds, and the type of hardware used.
      Coverage

Some areas and countries only have one technology available, so users should be sure to review coverage maps before buying a phone. Generally speaking, CDMA is most commonly found in North America and some parts of Asia, while GSM is found in most other places. Some carriers do offer international or "world" phones that can work with both, but if the phone is going to be used predominantly in one area, it may make sense just to get one that's tied to one type.
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I suppose what I meant was, the statement seems to say that an Unlocked iPhone has less functionality than a locked one.

Comment

I suppose what I meant was, the statement seems to say that an Unlocked iPhone has less functionality than a locked one.
          Have a looky at the link SM posted.

I think what they are saying is that if you buy an unlocked one in the UK it may not be able to use 4G in other countries as they may be on different bands.

Comment

No, a locked one will do everything that the network it is locked to allows and only the network it is locked to, not every network can use all the functions of an unlocked device

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              I think what they are saying is that if you buy an unlocked one in the UK it may not be able to use 4G in other countries as they may be on different bands.
              Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              No, a locked one will do everything that the network it is locked to allows and only the network it is locked to, not every network can use all the functions of an unlocked device
              Thanks for explaining.

So, I ordered one

Comment

Thanks for explaining.

So, I ordered one
                Already ahead of you

Comment

Thanks for explaining.

So, I ordered one
                  Was it the slower processor or the smaller screen that clinched it? (Compared to a HTC or Samsung)

When you see them all together, which looks old and rubbish?

Apple iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 vs Nokia Lumia 920 | Reviews | CNET UK

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                    Was it the slower processor or the smaller screen that clinched it? (Compared to a HTC or Samsung)

When you see them all together, which looks old and rubbish?

Apple iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 vs Nokia Lumia 920 | Reviews | CNET UK
                    The quote at the end isn't good news. Apple seem to have lost the edge nowadays. The last phones were pretty groundbreaking and it was months before something even close came out. This time they are just pitching in to an already full market. The final quote proves this.

At the moment, it's far too difficult -- and pointless -- to try and pick a winner from the three. All these phones offer multi-core processing, high-resolution screens, 8-megapixel cameras and 4G connectivity. The real differences are the software they run on and the user experience.
                    Looks like this is one for die hard apple fans and not people that will get it because the specs are better.

Edit : The same die hard fans that are going to have to update all their docking equipment as well as buy the phone <giggle>
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X