• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Team lead role on a dev contract...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team lead role on a dev contract...

I recently managed to bag a new contract (2 weeks ago). I had been benched for a while so reluctantly accepted a lower rate and long M25 commute. Not ideal, but only a 3 month contract so I thought I could cope.

The contract was for hands on development work implementing a WPF solution for the internals. Nothing too taxing and well inside my comfort zone, however...

By the end of the first week I had to conduct interviews for the new devs.

In the second week, the dev lead went sick and I was asked to team lead. Fair enough I thought. It's not the first time I've run development teams and the client needed some assistance. So I stepped up to the plate.

Little did I know that there was a big tech demo to the business scheduled for Friday and guess who had to stand up in front of the board to give it! Yep, little old me. What joy.

Finally, on Friday evening as I was about to drag myself home, there is an emergency meeting called:

"Dev lead isn't coming back, Cr1spy you're in charge."

I didn't mind giving a week's worth of team lead assistance to cover the absence, but this stretches my generosity.

Now, I have a decision to make. As far as I can see there are three options:
    1. Bend over and take it at the current rate
    2. Refuse to continue team leading (outside bounds of current contract scope)
    3. Get a new contract sorted out that includes the team leading requirements (including a rate hike)

I think I know which way I'm going on this tomorrow, but thought I'd get some feedback from the board too. You lot seem to be pretty blunt with advice, so please bring it.

Cr1spy.
    Last edited by administrator; 17 September 2012, 15:05. Reason: I don't see that the details I removed are relevant
    Wibble

Originally posted by Cr1spy View Post
    I recently managed to bag a new contract (2 weeks ago). I had been benched for a while so reluctantly accepted a lower rate and long M25 commute. Not ideal, but only a 3 month contract so I thought I could cope.

The contract was for hands on development work implementing a WPF solution for the internals. Nothing too taxing and well inside my comfort zone, however...

By the end of the first week I had to conduct interviews for the new devs.

In the second week, the dev lead went sick and I was asked to team lead. Fair enough I thought. It's not the first time I've run development teams and the client needed some assistance. So I stepped up to the plate.

Little did I know that there was a big tech demo to the business scheduled for Friday and guess who had to stand up in front of the board to give it! Yep, little old me. What joy.

Finally, on Friday evening as I was about to drag myself home, there is an emergency meeting called:

"Dev lead isn't coming back, Cr1spy you're in charge."

I didn't mind giving a week's worth of team lead assistance to cover the absence, but this stretches my generosity.

Now, I have a decision to make. As far as I can see there are three options:
    1. Bend over and take it at the current rate
    2. Refuse to continue team leading (outside bounds of current contract scope)
    3. Get a new contract sorted out that includes the team leading requirements (including a rate hike)

I think I know which way I'm going on this tomorrow, but thought I'd get some feedback from the board too. You lot seem to be pretty blunt with advice, so please bring it.

Cr1spy.
    New contract or walk.
    Last edited by administrator; 17 September 2012, 15:05. Reason: edit quote
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      New contract or walk.
      Forgot option 4: Walk!
      Wibble

Comment

I commuted 60 miles around the M25 and back for two years...

New contract.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

New contract - it's all about making sure that the contract reflects working practices innit.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            New contract - it's all about making sure that the contract reflects working practices innit.
            This^

To me, it sounds like the client is simply changing the working practices whenever they feel like it to suit their own needs. I'd say you are already on dangerous ground as regards IR35, so think long and hard before simply "sucking up" the current situation.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

I'd see this as an opportunity: you now have a bigger role and a reason to negotiate your rate upwards. The client may also be keen to hold onto you, given that they have lost their previous team lead.

So yes, draw up a new contract and discuss with the client.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                This^

To me, it sounds like the client is simply changing the working practices whenever they feel like it to suit their own needs. I'd say you are already on dangerous ground as regards IR35, so think long and hard before simply "sucking up" the current situation.
                I don't think IR35 is really relevant here, to be honest. The working conditions are the important thing, not what it says in the contract (although a contract helps prove your point). So, unless Crispy is being forced to take on the work, and in a manner which would imply direction and control, then it's not going to impact their IR35 status.

However, the important part is getting paid for the role - since there has been a significant change in role, and the role is now one which would usually command a higher rate, then I would push for a new higher rate.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  WCS
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

New contract and higher rate...

Managed to get a new contract and 20% rate rise. Even managed to introduce the concept of WFH on occasion. So not a bad day.

But, you know that feeling you get when someone agrees to your new rate a little too eagerly? I think I could have asked for more! Oh well, keep on invoicing...

Re: IR35 pointer.

I have actively perused a new contract to reflect the changes in working practice. This will help indicate that I'm in control of my own destiny and not under the clients direct control or whim. Maybe...
                    Last edited by Cr1spy; 17 September 2012, 21:20.
                    Wibble

Comment

Working...
                    X