• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being nasty to newbies in the professional forums

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being nasty to newbies in the professional forums

NLUK, do you mind awfully not shooting down every new poster in the professional forums with your 'what a stupid question', 'what an idiot', 'look at the stickies you time waster'.

This is like the North Sea cod problem, you're starving the General board of new posters because you've caught them in the professional boards & thrown them back in before they can grow.

Pack it in!!!!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    NLUK, do you mind awfully not shooting down every new poster in the professional forums with your 'what a stupid question', 'what an idiot', 'look at the stickies you time waster'.

This is like the North Sea cod problem, you're starving the General board of new posters because you've caught them in the professional boards & thrown them back in before they can grow.

Pack it in!!!!

wMFs. Why do I feel dirty having said that?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

NLUK isnt real. Hes a bot that automatically replies to newbie posters....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Pack it in!!!!
        Maybe make your sockies appear more intelligent and then he'll let them pass ....

Oh, spotted the problem!
        Beer
        is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I actually think he has a valid point. His replies are effectively policing the forums, so now every new poster is probably aware of NLUK so does a search first or runs the gauntlet of feeling his wrath. The forum would be a lot worse if we had hundreds of identical posts every day in each forum

Comment

Pack it in!!!!
            Coming from the forum nice guy I will take this as a compliment.

New or not, if it is an ill thought out and poorly researched question then they get the same answer. They might be new to the forum but they are not new to common sense, google and other researching methods. As you of all people are well aware it's a public forum and people are free to post what they want. I will take your request in to consideration though......
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As a fairly new poster (despite signing up years ago) I find it off putting that if you ask a question about something that has been discussed before you might get a bit of a bollocking.

Now serarching is all good and that, but sometimes you want to ask a question becuase:
              a) you've read lots of threads and you've ended up confused as there's so many views and no general consensus so want to get clarification
              b) the threads you've found are old and you are wondering if things have changed at all
              c) you have specific questions that aren't covered in other threads that do cover the same issue
              d) you'd actually just like to talk bollocks about something that has been talked about before as in...

Man sits down next to his mate in a bar.
              Says "So who's gonna win the cup this year?"
              Barmaid says "you can't have that conversation, it was discussed last week"
              Mans says, "no problem love". turns to his mate and says "would you give the barmaid one?".

I think lots of discussions on the same topic isn't bad. If you don't want to join in coz you've seen it all before - you don't have to. I thought the idea of forums were for people to hold public conversations. Regardless of the level of prior knowledge.
              Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

New or not, if it is an ill thought out and poorly researched question then they get the same answer. They might be new to the forum but they are not new to common sense, google and other researching methods. As you of all people are well aware it's a public forum and people are free to post what they want. I will take your request in to consideration though......

It's not a ******* request.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
                  As a fairly new poster (despite signing up years ago) I find it off putting that if you ask a question about something that has been discussed before you might get a bit of a bollocking.

Now serarching is all good and that, but sometimes you want to ask a question becuase:
                  a) you've read lots of threads and you've ended up confused as there's so many views and no general consensus so want to get clarification
                  b) the threads you've found are old and you are wondering if things have changed at all
                  c) you have specific questions that aren't covered in other threads that do cover the same issue
                  d) you'd actually just like to talk bollocks about something that has been talked about before as in...

Man sits down next to his mate in a bar.
                  Says "So who's gonna win the cup this year?"
                  Barmaid says "you can't have that conversation, it was discussed last week"
                  Mans says, "no problem love". turns to his mate and says "would you give the barmaid one?".

I think lots of discussions on the same topic isn't bad. If you don't want to join in coz you've seen it all before - you don't have to. I thought the idea of forums were for people to hold public conversations. Regardless of the level of prior knowledge.
                  Good argument, terrible analogy. They do not come on to discuss. They come on and ask a question and want an answer, often an answer they want to hear not the real answer. There is a balance I agree but questions on 24 month rule, where to get contracts reviewed, can I pay pension out of business are not discussions we need to have again.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This^

And this^

Go get 'em, NLUK!!!!!
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X