• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying Property in Cornwall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Property in Cornwall

I was looking at some property pages in Cornwall and, compared with the South East, properties near Plymouth look remarkably cheap. For example, look what you can get for £300K in Liskeard

Property for sale in Liskeard, Cornwall

A colleague I spoke to said that was true generally in Cornwall if you go for an average/modern property without a sea view. But thatched seaside cottages with honeysuckles round the front door etc cost a fortune for their size.

Seems reasonable, but I wondered if anyone who lives in Devon or Cornwall, or with experience of property in that area, might have an opinion. Is Lisgeard typical, or unusually cheap?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I was looking at some property pages in Cornwall and, compared with the South East, properties near Plymouth look remarkably cheap. For example, look what you can get for £300K in Liskeard

A colleague I spoke to said that was true generally in Cornwall if you go for an average/modern property without a sea view. But thatched seaside cottages with honeysuckles round the front door etc cost a fortune for their size.

Seems reasonable, but I wondered if anyone who lives in Devon or Cornwall, or with experience of property in that area, might have an opinion. Is Lisgeard typical, or unusually cheap?
    Liskeard's a bit of a dump isn't it? My folks live in Mylor Bridge between Falmouth & Truro two and prices there aren't any different to what they are around Bath; i.e. not cheap.

Comment

'Ere you go... sea views and all for £279k

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post

Liskeard's a bit of a dump isn't it? ...
        Ah, that I didn't know (Only been to Cornwall once.) What would be handy is a web site that rates UK towns/areas according to dumpiness or the opposite.

I'm sure someone here posted a link to a hilarous site a few years ago, something like chavtown.co.uk.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Considering the price, I especially liked the look of this one.

4 Bed house for sale, The Old School, Liskeard - Ref: 8547049

Comment

You're looking to buy a place in Cornwall and you've only been there once?

That apart, there's a reason a lot of it is so cheap.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I can see where OwlHoot is coming from as I live in the South East. If you were to drive to my place you would think what a pile of sh*te the surrouding area is. Value of my house £550k.

Comment

Emmets
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Emmets
                  [Wikipedia]
                  Emmet is a pejorative nickname that some Cornish people use to refer to the many tourists who visit Cornwall.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                    Liskeard's a bit of a dump isn't it? My folks live in Mylor Bridge between Falmouth & Truro two and prices there aren't any different to what they are around Bath; i.e. not cheap.
                    I grew up in Liskeard and my parents lived there until a couple of years ago. Mum moved away after my Dad died to be closer to the rest of the family. It's not really any more of a dump than any decent sized market town. It has good bits and bad bits. The town centre is decent with some good local shops, several good pubs, and some ropey ones.

It's not the sort of place you'd go to visit unless you knew people who lived there. There are no tourist attractions associated with it, it's not particularly quaint or picturesque. It's expanded a lot since I last spent any time there about 10 years ago, lots of new build housing and development. Most people commute to Plymouth for work as there is sod all other than the tourist trade and farming locally in terms of employment, much like the rest of Cornwall.

Having said all that it's not a bad place to live by any means, but if you want the country cottage by the sea, go elsewhere.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X