• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting the scene with agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting the scene with agents

I'm exploring my options and back on the happy merry-go-round.

Due to a previous agent giving me loads of BS, I'm considering a new tactic - set the scene with the agent and tell them up front before embarking on anything that you've been in this business a while and will not tolerate any BS.

There's obviously a risk that they tell you to get lost, but, hey, not my problem.

Thoughts?

They'll still try and BS you. For the most part it appears they know nothing else.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
      They'll still try and BS you. For the most part it appears they know nothing else.
      the next one that tries is gonna get a big F.O.

Comment

Mate thats the way the contract market goes and thats the way agencies are. The BS sux, but it's part of the game, sumfink which we unfortunately have to deal with. I sometime get agencies calling me up with pretend jobs and then ask which companies have recently interviewed you etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black.
          Mate thats the way the contract market goes and thats the way agencies are. The BS sux, but it's part of the game, sumfink which we unfortunately have to deal with. I sometime get agencies calling me up with pretend jobs and then ask which companies have recently interviewed you etc etc

How do deal with those w@nkers JB? Tell them straight out to go jump or diplomatically tell them to go jump?

Comment

Yep, I agree with Threaded (makes a change doesn't it).

When I get BS from them I say: look at my CV, how long have I been doing this contracting thing (20+ years), do you not think that I heard it all before. They still do it the next time they ring.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy
              How do deal with those w@nkers JB? Tell them straight out to go jump or diplomatically tell them to go jump?
              Nah I am just diplomatic with them. No point in being rude because you might actually need them one day.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                I generally say that it's classified... if I told them I'd then have to kill them...

The temptation, oh the temptation.
                you can have fun with agents asking if you are security cleared.

First make sure you have a full name and telephone contact.

Then in a firm clear voice state:

"<insert agent name>, Section 1, disclosure of security and intelligence information of the 1989 Official Secrets Act applies to any such information.
                I will need to contact the Ministry of Defence to confirm your clearance to be in possesion such sensitive information. I must inform you that attempting to procure such information WITHOUT clearance is also an offence under the 2001 Anti-Terrorism, Crime and Security Bill.".

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  Yup. It's in their DNA. Just as a duck will quack, and a dog will shag a leg, so an agent will BS. Telling the truth is considered as professional miconduct and a sackable offence.

Comment

Working...
                  X