• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK/US Film Release Dates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK/US Film Release Dates

In the modern world, where films are easily downloaded, i cannot understand why films have different release dates in the UK and the US.

Surely the film producers must realise that having different release dates in different countries damages the takings as any one who is eagerly anticipating a film will be tempted to illegally download. Does anyone know of any justification for having release dates so far apart?

The film i am talking about is Cloud Atlas, the book is fantastic, out in the US in oct, but we have to wait until March for it in UK cinemas.

Cloud Atlas (2012) - Release dates

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
    Surely the film producers must realise that having different release dates in different countries damages the takings as any one who is eagerly anticipating a film will be tempted to illegally download.
    The film industry has shown itself to be approximately as adept at adapting to rapid technological change that affects its distribution process as is the music industry.

Comment

If you wanted to see a film in the cinema you'd wait to see it in the cinema. If you wanted it for free, you'd just wait a few days more to see it for free.

I doubt there are many people who are so desperate to see a film, they'll download it instead of waiting for it in the cinema.

Comment

Actors have to be there for premiers. That's hard enough in one country at a time.

Also reviews in one country could drive interest in the film in others.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I don't go to the pictures much these days. Maybe two or three times a year. It's not about the cost but why should I pay for the privilege of having my film annoyed by people who can't keep quiet, when in six months time I can see it at home with my feet up, the volume set to house shaking and a glass of wine in my hand - all for 1/3 of the price.

It's called home cinema for a reason.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            I don't go to the pictures much these days. Maybe two or three times a year. It's not about the cost but why should I pay for the privilege of having my film annoyed by people who can't keep quiet, when in six months time I can see it at home with my feet up, the volume set to house shaking and a glass of wine in my hand - all for 1/3 of the price.

It's called home cinema for a reason.
            I much prefer watching the better movies at home too, in full HD (not a fan of 3D even though the TV supports it) and with the Kefs shaking the walls. And there's the added benefit of being able to watch the best scenes over and over again.

Was thinking of buying the Avenger bluray for that reason - I didn't watch it in the cinema.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              The film industry has shown itself to be approximately as adept at adapting to rapid technological change that affects its distribution process as is the music industry.
              They're part of the Entertainment Industry, who tried to ban Minidisc recorders, DAT recorders, VCRs, the phonograph, and even the player piano.
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Surely they are shooting themselves in the foot though. I only watch films once, i normally pay to see them in the cinema or buy the BR, rarely both. This isn't an issue of trying to get something for free, it is the fact my choices are either to wait 5 months to see it in UK or download it illegally when a decent copy is available.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
                  In the modern world, where films are easily downloaded, i cannot understand why films have different release dates in the UK and the US.

Surely the film producers must realise that having different release dates in different countries damages the takings as any one who is eagerly anticipating a film will be tempted to illegally download. Does anyone know of any justification for having release dates so far apart?

The film i am talking about is Cloud Atlas, the book is fantastic, out in the US in oct, but we have to wait until March for it in UK cinemas.

Cloud Atlas (2012) - Release dates
                  It's barking mad.

Another aspect of the craziness is that bluray & 3D versions are released weeks after the chav's DVD version. At least that is the case for Prometheus, which I have been eagerly awaiting in bluray that isn't due out until about Oct 10.

You'd think it would make more sense to release the higher-resolution versions first, to maximize the return (assuming there is a bigger mark up on these).

Perhaps they are worried that pirated bluray versions would reduce demand for normal DVD versions more than the converse.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Prometheus, which I have been eagerly awaiting
                    Humm did you see it at the cinema? You might want to watch it once for free before you waste your readies on the blu-ray.

Although if you do wait, your disappointment will be in stunning HD video with high fidelity surround sound

Comment

Working...
                    X