• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector forcing PAYE and all that - Consultancies a way around this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Sector forcing PAYE and all that - Consultancies a way around this?

Just had call from a Healthcare "Consultancy" (didn't catch the name) wanting me to come on board as a contractor working for them and they then place me at the Trust.

Is this the first of many agencies becoming "consultancies" for public sector contracts to get round the enforced PAYE terms I wonder.

I must admit, I've told a few agencies lately that at present I won't consider any public sector contracts until the dust settles and we can see how it pans out.

Hmmm....
    Blood in your poo

It's not Max20 is it?

One of the posters pointed out that Trusts are not the same as govt public bodies so was unsure what the effect of this legislation on NHS roles was. I haven't followed the discussion to be fair but could be worth looking in to.

I can't believe something this simple will get around the legislation to be honest but interest to see what the panel thinks.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It's not Max20 is it?

One of the posters pointed out that Trusts are not the same as govt public bodies so was unsure what the effect of this legislation on NHS roles was. I haven't followed the discussion to be fair but could be worth looking in to.

I can't believe something this simple will get around the legislation to be honest but interest to see what the panel thinks.
      It's not legislation though, is it ? (Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong).

I thought it was govt guidance on how public sector bodies should handle off payroll resource.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        It's not legislation though, is it ? (Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong).

I thought it was govt guidance on how public sector bodies should handle off payroll resource.
        I haven't really gotten too involved in this so I don't know the terminology sorry. You could be right.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It's not Max20 is it?

I've worked for Max20 before But I don't think that was the name - it was a bad line and I was standing outside in a force 9 gale!

MAx20 were a good agency for me though and dealt only with NHS so maybe they will have to change their model over time.
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
            I've worked for Max20 before But I don't think that was the name - it was a bad line and I was standing outside in a force 9 gale!

MAx20 were a good agency for me though and dealt only with NHS so maybe they will have to change their model over time.
            Don Tomlinson, MD of Max20 wrote an article on the changes but the fact he uses the term 'unlikely' and it is his business that is going to suffer as well I have to take it with a pinch of salt. Sounds more like him trying to reassure contractors than right an independant view on it. Make of it what you wish.

Comment

When in doubt...

Check the oracle

Public Sector Review
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I could be missing something here but would you be an employee of the consultancy and therefore subject to PAYE or would they pay your Ltd Co?? If it's the latter I can't see how this would get around anything as the purpose of the changes was to ensure that someone working in the public sector who was inside IR35 wasn't operating outside and therefore depriving the treasury
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I contract exclusively to NHS, sometimes via agency and sometimes via consultancy. There is no real difference. The rules will catch me as I work via a PSC. I don't believe that the nature of the intermediary will make any difference.
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                    I contract exclusively to NHS, sometimes via agency and sometimes via consultancy. There is no real difference. The rules will catch me as I work via a PSC. I don't believe that the nature of the intermediary will make any difference.
                    Can you point me to some legislation which captures the legal definition of this particular vehicle please ?

I've never heard of anyone being able to create or register a PSC. What is it exactly ?
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X