• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Russian Vikings!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russian Vikings!

Anyone watching the program on Vikings on Bbc2? Just discovered that St Petersberg in Russia was in fact Swedish until the 17th Century and in fact Russia has more Viking artefacts in it than the rest of Europe.

What else will i learn this evening?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    What else will i learn this evening?
    The dark art of capitalisation?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

There are so many things that people dont know

why does it suprise them so much to learn something new ?
      and why do so any of them think they know everything ?

the wisest and most sensible thing I like to hear is
      'I havnt got a clue, but I will either find out, or have a stab mate'

thats when you know you are talking to a top bloke

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

So ive heard of Lindisfarne but never been. Just added it to a list of places to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          There are so many things that people dont know

why does it suprise them so much to learn something new ?
          and why do so any of them think they know everything ?

the wisest and most sensible thing I like to hear is
          'I havnt got a clue, but I will either find out, or have a stab mate'

thats when you know you are talking to a top bloke

I like learning new things, that's the idea of life. Just surprised that St Petersberg was Swedish. Always thought of it as the most Russian city.

Comment

The vikings raided Lindisfarne. The Vikings raided loads of places.

but Lindisfarne was full of monks, and they could write. Thats why we know so much about Lindisfarne.

Make sure you go at low tide though.

The Normans, who invaded us in 1066 were Vikings descendants.

Most Norsemen were traders. They would come in, look around, sell you stuff, find out where the soldiers or militia were. then tool up and come back and rob you, nick all the birds and kids, and kill you.

viking was not a description. it was an action. 'i'm off flogging stuff today, but once it gets dark I'm going viking'

I knew a roofer in Liverpool who would sell roofing felt to people, store if for them in their garage, go back and rob it, then sell the same stuff back to them the next day' - a perfect viking he was

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Heard it all now. The reason for the difference between the North and South of England is down to the Danelaw, the fact that the North of England was conquered by the Vikings, while the South was able to withstand the onslaught. So effectively were saying that Northeners got their arses handed to them by some dodgy ginger fellas from Sweden. In the North there were open cesspits and they werent very healthy

Comment

Ooo. By means settlement in Norse. Hence Grimsby, Selby, Whitby means settlement. Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  I like learning new things, that's the idea of life. Just surprised that St Petersberg was Swedish. Always thought of it as the most Russian city.
                  The swedes had an empire. The Russ had an empire.
                  Mongols
                  Chinese
                  Japs

in fact, as a rule of thumb, it's always a good idea to assume that any race, country or people that you are dealing with had an empire at one point. And of course, for them, it was the greatest empire ever

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Anyone who knows anything about the Danelaw would not brag about being a southerner.

The Northerners fought like hell, wouldnt give in and organised such a resistance that the Norse were terrified of goingout at night.

meanwhile the southern limp wristed shandy drinking poofters PAID the Norse not to attack them.

faggots

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X