• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What should I do?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do?

On my CV I have correctly and honestly but perhaps a little naively written a technology stack that I used many years ago for a very brief period of time.

ClientCo have now decided they need me to work on a major project using this stack.

I have told ClientCo that I am weak on this stack and to make the best use of my skills they should assign me work on the stack in which I am strong. This simple sentence seems difficult for them to understand.

I am not included in meetings where these decisions are made and therefore unable to explain my view point directly.

There are many layers of management and I have tried to relay my concerns to the guy to whom I report; unfortunately he is a Bob and that seems to be causing a few conversational issues of its own.

I am repeatedly told that his boss is not happy with my explanation.

Matters seem to be reaching boiling point now. I received an email from Bob manager quoting my CV and told to think carefully about my decision, whatever that means. However, he is a very affable chap and his email could just be down to a cultural thing. Sections of the email were well written so I suspect they came from his boss.

He also mentioned that I am being discussed in meetings, as though I should now be worried.

Writing this down has certainly made me think I should stick two fingers to these guys but hey I'm still invoicing and cash is king.

But seriously, how would you all deal will this?

My current plan is to stick to my guns and tell them I will only work on a stack in which I can deliver and live with the consequences. Or should I ignore the chap to whom I report (even though until now he has been on my side) and speak directly with his boss?

Sounds like you've been caught out.

There's only one thing for it.

Go to ACM level 3 and get those memos out there fast! No time to lose!

Suity! This boy needs your help!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      But his CV isn't his 'job spec' !
      He should be working on what was agreed in his contract, unless they are giving him a new contract to deliver services on the other 'stack'..

Comment

why are they fixated on the old stack?
        what is the technical basis?
        or have they signed a contract to use that particular stack?

You said you could, now you are saying you won't that's why they are saying 'consider your position' and no I would read that as 'shape up or ship out', they ain't being nice you are embarrassing them.

If there is a reasonable technical reason not to use the original stack then state it but be prepared to JFDI.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I've been caught out? That's an interesting view point, perhaps that is how clientCo view the situation.

But I'm a developer and over the years development languages have changed quite a lot. My CV mentions all the languages in which I have worked and for how long. But I cannot be expected to be proficient in a language\stack in which I worked many years ago.

Many of the people here are so out of their depth they really don't let little things like lack of stack knowledge get in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
            But his CV isn't his 'job spec' !
            He should be working on what was agreed in his contract, unless they are giving him a new contract to deliver services on the other 'stack'..
            You do know that this is "General", don't you?

Comment

If you have used the technology previously, then you have some knowledge of it, why not use this opportunity to brush up your skills? might lead to a longer contract!

Comment

You do know that this is "General", don't you?
                err yeah. I suppose my answer was more suited to Business/Contracts

Comment

Or take the contract and sub-contract the work if you can...

Comment

Is "insur" txt speak for "insecure"? I can't keep up with the vocab these days.
                    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Working...
                    X