• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you support a local currency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you support a local currency?

BBC News - Bristol Pound launched to keep trade in the city

Imagine having to have a different currency for each different City you visit!

Nope.

If you were a permie who lived near to where they worked then fine.

I've never been one who has.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No, cause it would mean having to spend more time in Bristol

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I think the issue is with keeping money in the area, and for that, we always use local shops, rather than supermarkets, when at all possible. We'd use a local cafe, (one called the Pumkin for example), rather than Costa, we use the local butchers for all of our meet, rather than Tescos, etc.

This is simply an extension of that.

I actually think you should support your local economy as much as you can, as I have seen too many businesses shut down, due to the big boys coming to town.

Comment

I'm a big fan of private competing currencies, but this is being done for all the wrong reasons and won't achieve any of the things they want it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            I think the issue is with keeping money in the area, and for that, we always use local shops, rather than supermarkets, when at all possible. We'd use a local cafe, (one called the Pumkin for example), rather than Costa, we use the local butchers for all of our meet, rather than Tescos, etc.

This is simply an extension of that.

I actually think you should support your local economy as much as you can, as I have seen too many businesses shut down, due to the big boys coming to town.
            Are Tesco excluded from the scheme then? There is at least one national chain :-

"But organisers have also signed up suppliers, like the natural food wholesaler Essential. The firm supplies food stores and cafes across the country"

We do try to support locals businesses as much as we can - don't need a local ccy for that.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Are Tesco excluded from the scheme then? There is at least one national chain :-

"But organisers have also signed up suppliers, like the natural food wholesaler Essential. The firm supplies food stores and cafes across the country"

We do try to support locals businesses as much as we can - don't need a local ccy for that.
              I agree, its why I said it's just an extension of this.

I don't think we need a local currency either.

Comment

Hell no. My Northern Beer Pounds would be useless if I wanted to buy a drink in London that is priced in Southern Shirtlifting Shandy Drinking Laa Laa Pounds
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

apparently the local council will pay their staff in Bristol punts if they want

Just think 'dear Barclays here is my Mortgage payment in Bristol funny money'.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X