• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using Amazon.COM rather than Amazon.CO.UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Amazon.COM rather than Amazon.CO.UK

Looking at a new pair of headphone to go with the iPhone 5 and want the Klipsch Image S4i II, which on the UK Amazon site are £89, on the US site they are only $99 so about ~£61. Has anyone ever bought anything on the US site and tried to ship it to the UK? Is it any hassle?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I used to do this a long time ago with books, as it was much cheaper to buy books and ship them all around the world than buy them in rip off Britain.

Of course there is no import duty, VAT etc on books, on headphones there is. The duty free limit has been reduced lately too, I think its now a princely £14 or £15.

You will also find that you are charged a "handling charge" by royal mail or whoever to collect the tax, this is often as much or more than the tax.

The system is designed to discourage you from doing this. THEY WILL HAVE THEIR TAX!

Comment

You can price it up on bundle box for free (inc duty etc) to see if it's worth it or not.

I would expect not.

When you get the headphones, comeback and give us a review, I've always used Shure in the past, but quite fancy the rugged version of what you're after.

Stinky-linky: http://www.bundlebox.com/shipping_estimate/

Comes out about £103 quid...
      Last edited by Moscow Mule; 19 September 2012, 11:40.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

You can do it, but if your parcel gets inspected you may find they charge you the duty you should have paid plus a processing fee.

I've had this happen even with books before.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

We get friends to order the gear in the US, then to ship stuff and mark it as birthday present. Never had issues before.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            We get friends to order the gear in the US, then to ship stuff and mark it as birthday present. Never had issues before.
            Make sure all the pricing information inside the parcel is removed.

I've had friends who have had real birthday presents shipped from countries around the world and have got stung for duty because the price tags were left on.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Make sure all the pricing information inside the parcel is removed.

I've had friends who have had real birthday presents shipped from countries around the world and have got stung for duty because the price tags were left on.
              No, of course. It started with an iPod, which was £180 here, or $175 there, and the exchange rate was 2:1

Ridiculous really, but there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Looking at a new pair of headphone to go with the iPhone 5 and want the Klipsch Image S4i II, which on the UK Amazon site are £89, on the US site they are only $99 so about ~£61. Has anyone ever bought anything on the US site and tried to ship it to the UK? Is it any hassle?
                I've bought loads from Amazon.com

It's a doddle if Amazon are shipping it.

But I've only bought books and DVDs ... is there a chance you'll get clobbered for import duty or VAT or both? That I don't know.

Comment

It used to be the case that only certain product types could be bought from amazon.com for delivery to the UK.

Apart from books and obscure dvd's there is little that ends up cheaper once Customs get involved. Unlike the early 1990's when it was worth travelling to New York because 1 apple mac with flight and hotel was cheaper there than buying it in London even if you were caught at heathrow.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm looking at a Dell XPS 27 - $1799 (£1100) in the States versus £1598 in UK ...barstewards!

Total shipping charges: £14225.15 Delivery time:
                    Import duty & VAT: £3066.50 << wtf! shirley some mistake!
                    Import duty & VAT handling charges: £130.74
                    Product costs: £1107.32
                    Total costs: £18529.72
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X