• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cooking Doh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Doh

I dont know if you cook, I dont know if you like cooking. But I do.

Sometimes, a tremendously good cook will do something fantastic, then never be able to recreate the masterpiece. Maybe they should take lab notes, or video clips or something.

But it's a bit OT to go that far for a simple recipe.or so I thought.

About ten years ago, I was cooking for myself. I wanted an easy chille/ mince and onions type thing, and it came out the pan tasting brilliant. I saved a gob full for the missus and she was impressed.

Of course, I have never been able to recreate it ... till tonight

I must hasten to add that when I created this marvel all those years ago, I was pissed as a f@rt. Tonight, I admit that I had ten cans of fozzies before 'rediscovering' my masterpiece.

The ingrediants are the same, mince, spoon of oil, an onion, salt , pepper, an oxo cube, handfull of peas, handfull of corn, chille seeds, packet of chille mix

what matters is the temperature. doh

If you put the ingrediants into the frying pan and add the mix , mixed in with water, the temperature will never get above 100. i.e. it will boil. it will not fry.

If you put the ingredients in, and sprinkle the mix on without water, it wont boil, it will fry.
    The whole thing cooks a lot hotter, binds differently , tastes different and the consistancy is different.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I dont know if you cook, I dont know if you like cooking. But I do.

Sometimes, a tremendously good cook will do something fantastic, then never be able to recreate the masterpiece. Maybe they should take lab notes, or video clips or something.

But it's a bit OT to go that far for a simple recipe.or so I thought.

About ten years ago, I was cooking for myself. I wanted an easy chille/ mince and onions type thing, and it came out the pan tasting brilliant. I saved a gob full for the missus and she was impressed.

Of course, I have never been able to recreate it ... till tonight

I must hasten to add that when I created this marvel all those years ago, I was pissed as a f@rt. Tonight, I admit that I had ten cans of fozzies before 'rediscovering' my masterpiece.

The ingrediants are the same, mince, spoon of oil, an onion, salt , pepper, an oxo cube, handfull of peas, handfull of corn, chille seeds, packet of chille mix

what matters is the temperature. doh

If you put the ingrediants into the frying pan and add the mix , mixed in with water, the temperature will never get above 100. i.e. it will boil. it will not fry.

If you put the ingredients in, and sprinkle the mix on without water, it wont boil, it will fry.
    The whole thing cooks a lot hotter, binds differently , tastes different and the consistancy is different.

Sorry, EO, but I stopped reading your cooking story about 2 lines in - once I realised a topless Nigella Lawson wasn't going to feature.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Indeed EO, like cooking a rump steak. Cover the blighter in oil, leave it until room temperature, get your griddle smoking hot (no oil, and I mean smoking hot, give it at least 5 mins on full blast), quickly coat steak with sea salt or fleur de sel, and fry the fecker 1 min each side (or longer if you are a girls blouse or a Grauniad reader).

Then most importantly, let it rest for 10 mins in a warm place before eating.

Will be tender and tasty.

hyperD "cooking tip #24' mode
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
      X