• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation rising, stocks down - end of housing boom?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflation rising, stocks down - end of housing boom?

It only needs one stimulus. The fact is the property market is not sustainable. I can't wait...
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

It's raining men, hallelu......

Oops, sorry, not the start to It's Raining Men at all then. Damn. Sorry.
    I'll get my coat.
    Why not?

Comment

I hope you did obtain goat's consent dundee...

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
        Oops, sorry, not the start to It's Raining Men at all then. Damn. Sorry.
        I'll get my coat.
        Get a life DG. What's your excuse? My gf has finally left. Good riddance ...
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Agreed.

I know people who have totally overstretched themselves. There's a normally very placid, wet guy I work with and when I made the mistake of even mentioning the possibility of a fall he blew up and almost lost his temper. these folks have to understand risk and reward. They seem to expect that the market all goes one way.

I've never owned property but I've cash put away for this and mentally ready to finally do it. I've just felt uncomfortable paying xxx,xxx for quite normal houses / flats so never did it.

When the crash / correction comes along what kind of drop would the panel expect ? If there was say a 5% drop over a 6 month period wouldn't a lot of people like me and sasguru just step in and inflate the market / slow the fall ?

I don't remember the crashes of yesteryear. Would the lenders still be free and easy with offering mortgages ? What happens in a crash ?

Curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Angela_D
            Agreed.

I know people who have totally overstretched themselves. There's a normally very placid, wet guy I work with and when I made the mistake of even mentioning the possibility of a fall he blew up and almost lost his temper. these folks have to understand risk and reward. They seem to expect that the market all goes one way.

I've never owned property but I've cash put away for this and mentally ready to finally do it. I've just felt uncomfortable paying xxx,xxx for quite normal houses / flats so never did it.

When the crash / correction comes along what kind of drop would the panel expect ? If there was say a 5% drop over a 6 month period wouldn't a lot of people like me and sasguru just step in and inflate the market / slow the fall ?

I don't remember the crashes of yesteryear. Would the lenders still be free and easy with offering mortgages ? What happens in a crash ?

Curious.

5%? Are you joking? How I am going to inflate my 3 property empire that way? I want a full-on 40-50% .

Edited to say: so I can finally leave this crap industry and pursue a career in property.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

If 40-50% happened that would probably be fantastic for me (and a bit scary for the nation). I don't know how long a crash takes in the house market. I was figuring a very very slow burn <> 2 years.

If all houses were 50% cheaper next week then I'd be lovin' it.

Would you not worry that the market may not have bottomed out ?

Comment

The inflation rise is tiny, and maybe due to increased fuel costs. The stock markets are dipping due to nerves over the American dollar being devalued. Americans will buy less and that will affect many economies esp. Japan and Europe. It's about time as the US balance of payments deficit is huge. As is ours. Anyway the saying is that when America sneezes we catch a cold. Stock markets are on the short term driven by the neurotic decision making of traders, based on rumours, scares, trends etc.

The so-called economic miracle has been largely driven by a spending boom. Our economy is soundish - despite gradually increasing unemployment. House prices are kept high by demand - in part from massive net immigration.

I could perhaps see a gradual slow down as the economy becomes sclerotic due to Flash and Teflon's meddling. But it will take a few more years yet IMO.

Comment

Didn't anybody tell you? Property prices can rise at ca. 20% pa forever. It's Gordon Brown's economic miracle.

Comment

Well the thing to bear in mind is that immigrants are not permanent like they were. India and China have booming economies, immigrants are even returning to places they wouldn't have gone back to 20 years ago.

What does that mean...

Well there are 200,000 going out and 400,000 (or whatever ) coming in. If the economy goes down then, you'll find the new generation of fickle immigrants will quickly disappear and you get the "Germany" effect, i.e. net emigration and a population decline, which means a....

A HOUSE PRICE CRASH
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X