• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Close call

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close call

Friend of mine had a computer problem so as usual called me in. While at his place sorting it out he took a call from an Asian sounding chap who was a Microsft certified technician and his computer had sent an automated message detailing the problem which he would solve.

Pure coincidence but had I not been there he would have been taken in by this common scam. Tell yer friends especially those not computer savvy or elderly not to eneter into any dialogue and just hang up.

Since he passed the phone to me I had a rather entertaining hour winding the chunt up. Others won't be so lucky.
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Friend of mine had a computer problem so as usual called me in. While at his place sorting it out he took a call from an Asian sounding chap who was a Microsft certified technician and his computer had sent an automated message detailing the problem which he would solve.

Pure coincidence but had I not been there he would have been taken in by this common scam. Tell yer friends especially those not computer savvy or elderly not to eneter into any dialogue and just hang up.

Since he passed the phone to me I had a rather entertaining hour winding the chunt up. Others won't be so lucky.
    Had he even contacted MS?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

SY you offer a computer 'fixing' service don't you?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        SY you offer a computer 'fixing' service don't you?
        I do. And very lucrative it is too. Got 3 lappies in at the min. Eaaaasy money.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          I'd have got bored after 5 mins!! Well done
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            I'd have got bored after 5 mins!! Well done
            Chunt was a muslim, I'm in hiding with a police guard now
            Me, me, me...

Comment

I have a rape alarm I use for such calls.

I start telling I'm with the TPS, if they ignore it I pull the pin & make a coffee, sometimes I get a call back. 'There appears to be a fault with your telephone!'
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                I have a rape alarm I use for such calls.
                I'd like to know what was going through your mind the day you decided to buy a rape alarm because you were getting dodgy phone calls
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

This scam's been doing the rounds for a few months now, at least. I've had the call myself, and tried to wind them up for a while but quickly got bored and just started laughing at the guy on the phone, or telling him how he was letting down his parents by leading this dishonest lifestyle.

I'm sure some people would fall for it though

Comment

I had the same call this evening from Ceylon Tech Support - kept him on the phone for 15mins then told him this was a scam to his obvious insistence that it wasn't. V. amusing.

Comment

Working...
                    X