• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My next read.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My next read.....

Folllowing on from my foray in to a few classics (Orwell's 1984 and then his Animal Farm), I stumbled across this book going a google search.

I also found a review from a website.

The Torture Garden:
    "the most sickening work of art of the nineteenth century..."

A novel by Octave Mirbeau 1899
    Originally translated
    by Alvah C. Bessi in 1931
    Re/Search Publications 1989
    Photography by Bobby Neel Adams

"Alas, the gates of life never swing open except upon death, never open except upon the palaces and gardens of death. And the universe appears to me like an immense, inexorable torture-garden. . ."

When I first received this book from a my old perverted buddy Chris, I doubted that I would enjoy it. Perhaps it was the word torture in the title that first put me off at first, but, more likely, it was from whom the book had come. Chris tends to have strong sadistic and extremely bizzare tastes in erotica. After all, this is the pervert who had first introduced me to the B-movies: Blood Sucking Freaks, Animal Farm and de Sade's Justine. Needless to say, the book sat for two weeks on my coffee table collecting purple, ring-stains from wine glasses until I finally picked it up and began to read.

Imagine my surprise when I started to get into it. The version Chris gave me is a rare hard-cover picture book of the novel printed by Re/Search Publications in 1989. On the cover is a photograph of a
    woman wearing a black mask as she lies in the sand cradling the bald head of a man who is buried to his neck. Her lips are pursed into a kiss and she looks as if she is in a state of dreamy ecstasy. This picture
    conjures up the feel of the entire book, of the English woman Clara, and of the Torture Garden itself.

"They dug thirty holes in the sand, and they buried them up to their necks, naked, with their heads shaved, in the noonday sun. So they wouldn't die too fast they watered them from time to time, like cabbages. At the end of an hour their eyelids swollen, their eyes bulged from their sockets, their swollen tongues filled their mouths, which gaped frightfully, and their skin cracked and roasted on their skulls."

This is one of the descriptions of torture that Clara relates with growing fever to her lover, our narrator, a French bureaucrat, as she takes him on a depraved journey through the most terrible and divine
    place on earth. The Torture Garden is a beautiful, lush garden in China, hidden within the walls of a prison (a Bagnio), in which the most horrible and exquisite punishments are inflicted upon the human body as a work of art. The garden itself it extremely fertile, and thrives from the nourishment that enriches its soil, "through the excrement of the prisoners, the blood of the tortured", defying the atrocities of it's
    vile surroundings by producing the most lush, exotic and fragrant flowers in all of China.

It is in this magnificent and repulsive setting that we uncover the desires of a delicate-looking English woman. Clara, born an aristocratic, has all the perversities and bored exterior of a woman of her breeding and era. Unable to obtain sexual pleasure from the usual methods, or perhaps too jaded to try, she is driven to the limits of sensation, seeking and becoming increasingly obsessed with beauty, torture, blood and death. Clara seduces our narrator with promises of the ultimate passion that human's can experience.

"I'll teach you terrible things. . . divine things. I promise you'll descend with me to the very depths of the mystery of love. . . and death!"

The Frenchman, a bourgeois and corrupted politician, is captivated by Clara, even though her very nature sickens and repulses him. He finds himself being drawn into her wild web of enchantment and eventually
    falling prey to her sinful and wicked delusions.

"I realized that the very thing that held me to her was the frightful rottenness of her soul and her crimes of love. She was a monster, and I loved her for being a monster."

While he remained a weak and uninteresting character throughout the book, I found myself becoming mesmerized by Clara's debauchery, and by the book's exploration of passion and pain. I began to easily identify with her character, and with her search for the ultimate aphrodisiac: our fascination with beautiful death.

I also appreciated how Clara, and women in general were portrayed in this book. Gone were the contemporary stereotypes of a frail, dispassionate, and vulnerable woman. Instead, I found a woman who was vibrant and alive, and emanated passion and sexual exuberance. The author presented women as powerful creatures, commanding the very forces of life and death itself.

"Women possess the cosmic force of an element, an invincible force of destruction, like nature's. She is, in herself alone, all nature! Being the matrix of life, she is by that very fact the matrix of death—since it is from death that life is perpetually reborn, and since to annihilate death would be to kill life at its only fertile source."

The author, Octave Mirbeau, who lived and wrote during the late nineteenth century, was rebellious and held fast to the doctrines of anarchism which he passionately defended. Throughout his novel, the
    underlying element is the portrayal of society's hideousness and hypocrisies, that much of what we believe to be good and right, is evil in disguise. And, perhaps it is through his juxtaposition of beauty and
    horror, that my own realizations as a reader came. At one point in the book he is describing a crowd of exquisitely plumed peacocks devouring strips of human flesh in a feeding frenzy. His words are elegant and poetic, sometimes singing like a violin, and other times whispering like a breeze. His descriptions, especially of the foliage throughout the garden, are deliciously lush and vivid, invoking images of copulation amidst the "phalliform and vulviod clusters". I had visions of Pink Floyd's The Wall, and the savage blossoms like sex organs violently fcuking, the female devouring the male in a Black Widow orgy-feast.

"She bent over a plant, a thalictrum which lifted a long, branching, light violet stem beside the path. . . a powerful phosphatic odor, an odor of semen rose from this plant. . . what a lovely plant! How it intoxicates me. How it maddens me! Is it strange that there are plants that smell of love?. . ."
    The Torture Garden was not valued for its beautiful language nor for the social and political messages it proclaimed when Mirbeau wrote it in 1899. Instead, it was heralded as "the most sickening work of art of the nineteenth century. . ." Well, at least they included work of art.

Looks a bit different doesn't it ? After 2 bleak and depressing Orwell books (which I enjoyed immensely), something a bit more light-hearted and fun is required and TG looks like it will fit the bill ! Anyone else read this ?
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Looks good, BGG. I'll try it...

Edit : Just realised that I've seen the film of one of this guy's books - "Le Journal d'une Femme de Chambre" (A Chambermaid's Diary) several times. It's excellent, although it must have been toned down a bit compared to the book. Jeanne Moreau and Michel Piccoli were great in it. Heavy accent on foot-fetishes and ankle-high boots.....

Conscient des impasses du genre romanesque hérité de Balzac & de Zola, Octave Mirbeau (1848-1917) a tenté de le renouveler pour le sortir des ornières du réalisme & du naturalisme.

Il a ainsi participé à l'histoire du roman, en frayant des voies nouvelles, & en contribuant à la mise à mort & au dépassement du roman du XIXe siècle, dont il conteste les présupposés, qui sont à ses yeux autant d'illusions naïves : l'idée qu'il existe une réalité objective, indépendante de l'observateur ; l'idée que cette réalité est régie par des lois intelligibles & obéit à une finalité qui lui donne sa cohérence ; l'idée que le langage est un outil bien adapté, permettant d'exprimer cette réalité & de la rendre sensible.

Après avoir rédigé comme « nègre » des romans qu'il n'a pas signés & qui sont des récits-tragédies (1), rigoureusement composés selon un implacable mécanisme d'horlogerie, où le fatum prend la forme des déterminismes socio-culturels, il a délibérément opté pour des romans subjectifs, rédigés à la première personne, & qui prennent des libertés croissantes avec les conventions romanesques de la vraisemblance, de la crédibilité, de la bienséance & du « réalisme ».

Octave Mirbeau a d'abord publié trois romans souvent qualifiés d'autobiographiques - Le Calvaire (1886), L'Abbé Jules (1888) & Sébastien Roch (1890) -, où il met à profit ses propres souvenirs d'enfance & de maturité & dont l'action est située dans des lieux qu'il connaît bien, le Perche & la Bretagne.

Les récits sont discontinus, voire lacunaires, les événements sont toujours réfractés par une conscience (impressionnisme littéraire), l'atmosphère, souvent pesante, voire morbide, prend parfois une allure cauchemardesque ou fantastique, &, à l'instar de Dostoïevski, dont il vient d'avoir la « révélation », Mirbeau met en œuvre une psychologie des profondeurs, qui préserve le mystère des êtres.

Il franchit un nouveau pas dans la déconstruction du roman avec ses quatre œuvres narratives suivantes : Dans le ciel (1892-1893), non publié en volume du vivant de Mirbeau : roman « en abyme », qui traite de la tragédie de l'artiste (inspiré de Van Gogh) & qui présente du tragique de l'humaine condition une vision pré-existentialiste ; Le Jardin des supplices (1899), qui résulte du mixage désinvolte d'articles sur « la loi du meurtre » & de deux récits parus indépendamment dans la presse, & qui est un roman initiatique, doublé d'une parabole de la condition humaine, d'une dénonciation du colonialisme & d'une démystification de la vie politique française, où le sinistre côtoie le grotesque, & la caricature à la Daumier le grand-guignol à la Sade ; Le Journal d'une femme de chambre (1900), inventaire nauséeux des pourritures des classes dominantes vues à travers le regard d'une chambrière qui ne s'en laisse pas conter ; & Les 21 jours d'un neurasthénique (1901), collage d'une cinquantaine de contes cruels parus dans la presse entre 1887 & 1901, & imprégnés d'un pessimisme noir. Mirbeau y met à mal les conventions du roman balzacien : refus de la composition, refus de l'« objectivité » & de toute prétention au « réalisme » ; mépris pour la « vraisemblance » (à laquelle Mirbeau oppose le vrai) ; refus de l'achèvement ; & volonté constante de déconcerter les lecteurs pour mieux éveiller leur sens critique. À l'univers ordonné, cohérent, du roman balzacien, où tout est clair, & où tout semble avoir un sens & une finalité, Mirbeau substitue un univers discontinu, incohérent, aberrant & monstrueux. La contingence du récit, où éclate l'arbitraire du romancier-démiurge, reflète la contingence d'un monde absurde, où rien ne rime à rien.

Dans ses deux récits ultimes, La 628-E8 (1907) & Dingo (1913), Mirbeau renonce aux subterfuges des personnages romanesques & se met lui-même en scène en tant qu'écrivain (il inaugure l'autofiction). Il choisit pour héros, non plus des hommes, mais sa propre voiture (la fameuse 628-E8) & son chien (Dingo). Il renonce à toute trame romanesque & à toute composition, & obéit seulement à sa fantaisie. Enfin, sans le moindre souci de « réalisme », il multiplie les caricatures, les effets de grossissement & les « hénaurmités » pour mieux nous ouvrir les yeux. Ce faisant, par-dessus le roman codifié du XIXe siècle à prétentions réalistes, Mirbeau renoue avec la totale liberté des romanciers du passé, de Rabelais à Sterne, de Cervantes à Diderot & annonce ceux du XXe siècle.
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 15 June 2006, 08:06.
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

I've just finished re-reading Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World
      by Lemuel Gulliver - must say it gets better as I get older.... Intend to re-read 1984 when I can be arsed
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Aye BGG

If you enjoyed Eric Blairs 1984 etc then do have read of Down and Out in Paris and London also Keep the Aspidistra Flying by the same author.

Best book Ive read this year is the true tale of the Scots Anarchist Stuart Christie ...

Granny Made Me An Anarchist.

General Franco, The Angry Brigade, and ME

Stuart Christie

ISBN0-7432-5918-1

Published Scriber
        Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 15 June 2006, 09:09.

Comment

can anyone suggest a book based on imperial south east asia .. specifically Sinagapore and Malaysia?
          Similar themes of imperial hypocrisy and decadence would be ideal...
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

I prefer Enid Blyton's "The Magic Faraway Tree".

Comment

Oh, I dunno

Originally posted by Joe Black.
              I prefer Enid Blyton's "The Magic Faraway Tree".
              I thought 'the Adventures of the Magical Wishing Chair' were better.
              Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
                can anyone suggest a book based on imperial south east asia .. specifically Sinagapore and Malaysia?
                Margret, Margret...

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

I did actually try reading Eastons American Pyscho, but I didn't have the stomach for it.

Comment

Originally posted by kramer

Daniel Masons The Piano Tuner set in 1886 in Burma migh be of interest, the theme being the rotting of colonialism from within , is one very good read.

As I happen to have worked previosuly as a Piano Technican and tuner myself I stumbed across this book thinking it was a technical book on pianos which it is not.

As I am now in my sunset days as far as IT is concnered I shall be returning soon to my beloved Pianos.

The other book you might enjoy in this context is Burmese Days by George Orwell.

Daniel Mason's debut novel, The Piano Tuner, is the mesmerizing story of Edgar Drake, commissioned by the British War Office in 1886 to travel to hostile Burma to repair a rare Erard grand piano vital to the Crown's strategic interests.

Eccentric Surgeon-Major Anthony Carroll has brokered peace with local warlords primarily through music, a free medical clinic, and the "powers" of common scientific instruments, much to the dismay of warmongering officers suspect of such unorthodox methods. Drake is an introspective, well-mannered soul who, once there, falls in love with Burma and stays long past the piano-fixing to aid Carroll's political agenda.

Drake's arduous journey to reach the outpost, however, takes far too long (nearly half the book) and the plotting is rather heavy-handed at times (one night, Drake learns of a mysterious "Man with One Story" who rarely speaks, and the very next morning the Man tells all to Drake).

The story is ambitious, the language florid and sure to please, but the dialogue and melodrama are sometimes tedious. While out on the town with Carroll's love interest, Khin Myo (who enchants Drake), Mason offers the townspersons' view of Drake:

It is only natural that a guest be treated with hospitality, the quiet man who has come to mend the singing elephant is shy, and walks with the posture of one who is unsure of the world, we too would keep him company to make him feel welcome, but we do not speak English.... They say he is one of the kind of men who has dreams, but tells no one.

Drake's complexity is thin; perhaps the beauty of Burma takes over any real need for introspection. Despite these quibbles, The Piano Tuner is a memorable achievement. --Michael Ferch
                    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 15 June 2006, 10:04.

Comment

Working...
                    X