• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why Computing ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Computing ?

From the way you chaps talk about “contractor lifestyles” I was surprised by the lack of any IT related jobs on the list:

Top 10 Paid Degree Students

Is this because IT professionals generally don’t get degrees or is the field of IT so flooded with applicants that the average wage is low & you chaps are not the norm?

& yes I was happy to note that Construction Professionals came in at number 2
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    From the way you chaps talk about “contractor lifestyles” I was surprised by the lack of any IT related jobs on the list:

Top 10 Paid Degree Students

Is this because IT professionals generally don’t get degrees or is the field of IT so flooded with applicants that the average wage is low & you chaps are not the norm?

& yes I was happy to note that Construction Professionals came in at number 2
    It's nostalgia. It used to be good.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Lol what a pathetic list. Japanese Studies, Asian Studies? Yes those are the routes to a big wage.

I havent forgotten that recent tv program showing what people earned for a drain cleaning company, it was called "show me the money". Drain cleaners on £120k - 150k a year.

Comment

There are a few reasons for that first regardless of age lots of the people I work with like myself don't have degrees in computing. Some actually have degrees in the top 10 subjects listed.

What is commonly forgotten is people often learn how to programme on other degree subjects both at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Even now with more IT and computing degrees at universities you will meet a few Maths graduates.

That's why I always thought the outcry about the lack of girls doing Computer Science at A level was stupid.

Secondly IT pay for permies is actually quite poor. I keep getting emails for permie roles at the same pay rates as 2000.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          Lol what a pathetic list. Japanese Studies, Asian Studies? Yes those are the routes to a big wage.

I havent forgotten that recent tv program showing what people earned for a drain cleaning company, it was called "show me the money". Drain cleaners on £120k - 150k a year.
          A degree just shows you can learn.

The people I know with Japanese/Asian studies degrees are now accountants, a teacher and a business analyst.

Comment

Personally, I have a degree in computing, however my area of work is fairly niche market and so other than the general working methodologies I wouldn't say that my degree has had that much influence on my current career path.

I work in contracting because I like the lifestyle and ability to choose who, when and where I work but mainly because I enjoy what I do and find changing from client to client keeps you on your toes with an ever changing work environment and new people.
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              I enjoy what I do and find changing from client to client keeps you on your toes with an ever changing work environment and new people.
              That I can understand, I get the same in construction
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                A degree just shows you can learn.

The people I know with Japanese/Asian studies degrees are now accountants, a teacher and a business analyst.
                To me these are stupid people who have wasted years of life studying something that didnt lead to a career. Thankfully going forward such people will be saddled with a massive debt to focus the mind on that which is worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                  To me these are stupid people who have wasted years of life studying something that didnt lead to a career. Thankfully going forward such people will be saddled with a massive debt to focus the mind on that which is worthwhile.
                  University degrees where never intended to lead straight to a career unless it was a career in academia.

Those who got degrees and other qualifications from polys where suppose to use them in their career as that was the intention of their institutions.

Anyway I've noticed those with more obscure modern language degrees tend to use their skills in their working life. Having Asian language skills is useful in lots of UK cities. Even Japanese is useful if you live in the right part of London or work/own the right kind of shop.

Comment

I'd imagine there's an awful lot of money to be had if you can speak Mandarin/Cantonese/etc in the city. If you could combine another skill with the language, then it wouldn't surprise me to see some language grads earning serious money.

From what I understand from any employer, a degree shows comepetence in learning, and as most degrees are not vocational, the learning aspect of many degrees is to give you clues as to where the water is, and let you find out how to get a drink, where as vocational qualifications lead you to the water, give you a cup and show you how to drink. It's the ability to work off your own back that I think the employers want from degree students. IMO
                    Last edited by Old Hack; 21 September 2012, 07:44.

Comment

Working...
                    X