• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you know who I am tirades

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know who I am tirades

In light of Andrew Mitchell's out burst

Chief whip Andrew Mitchell apologises for police 'tirade' - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

A. what do the panel think?
    B. Have you got any great examples of 'DYKWIA' behavivour?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Many years ago BBG did a Christmas stint in the GAME shop.

A customer signed his credit card slip but the signatures did not match so he asked the customer to sign again, at this the customer promptly whipped of his baseball cap & demanded DYKWIA?

BBG did recognise him (Ross Kemp) but said very politely “no….am I meant to?” at which point Ross Kemp muttered under his breath signed the slip & stormed off

IMHO the best way to act in those situations
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

I always liked the one where the American Airline Stewardess on desk duty in front of an impatient queue was given the DYKWIA treatment. She announced loudly over the Airport tannoy "We have a guy at my check-in desk who doesn't know who he is!! Can Anyone help him?"

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
        BBG did recognise him (Ross Kemp) but said very politely “no….am I meant to?” at which point Ross Kemp muttered under his breath signed the slip & stormed off

like that!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
          Many years ago BBG did a Christmas stint in the GAME shop.

A customer signed his credit card slip but the signatures did not match so he asked the customer to sign again, at this the customer promptly whipped of his baseball cap & demanded DYKWIA?

Absolutely. For some of us that kind of thing is actually genuine (and who is this Ross Kemp?). I keep having to ask my partner about some TV game show, "are those people celebrities?" since I wouldn't know.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
            Absolutely. For some of us that kind of thing is actually genuine (and who is this Ross Kemp?). I keep having to ask my partner about some TV game show, "are those people celebrities?" since I wouldn't know.
            I'm exactly the same. I know so few "celebrities" on TV these days. We had one come round and look at a classic car I was selling (I can't name names as this is an open forum and it'll come up in Google). I genuinely had no idea who he was. As it happens he was actually a reasonable bloke. He didn't buy the car by the way - too big to get into his garage.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I once sidled up to a reasonably well known tv presenter and tried to chat her up. I genuinely had no idea who she was or that she had been on TV, I just thought she was foxy. To her credit she never said anything to suggest I ought to recognise her and it was only when I returned to my friends and they pointed out who I'd been talking to that I found out.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                In light of Andrew Mitchell's out burst

Chief whip Andrew Mitchell apologises for police 'tirade' - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

A. what do the panel think?
                B. Have you got any great examples of 'DYKWIA' behavivour?
                My favourite one is Danny Baker and a British Rail* press officer having an argy bargy over unapproved filming on BR property. They're both as bad as each other, but Danny's strop is just the more impressive of the two.

* Yes, it was that long ago.

Comment

A famous one from my military yoof

A guy on guard duty is being harrassed by his mates who are out on the ale

the phone rings, he answers '**** off ****'

stunned silence

'DO YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS ??'

no , who is it

'BRIGADIER GENERAL SAXE COLBURGE THE FIRST'

oh. er...Do you know who this is ?

'NO. I DO NOT'

oh, ... '**** off ****'

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I once sidled up to a reasonably well known tv presenter and tried to chat her up. I genuinely had no idea who she was or that she had been on TV, I just thought she was foxy. To her credit she never said anything to suggest I ought to recognise her and it was only when I returned to my friends and they pointed out who I'd been talking to that I found out.
                    probably for her own safety
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X