• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old TV shows that stand the test of time, and ones that don't

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old TV shows that stand the test of time, and ones that don't

Following the mini-nostalgia fest that was the "Friday night disco thread", I found myself digging out some old TV shows on YouTube over the weekend. A few of them surprised me by standing the test of time. Most of them didn't . The breakdown was as follows:

Stood the test of time: Between the Lines, The Sweeney.

Enjoyed them then, but not so much in hindsight: X-Files, The Professionals, The Dukes of Hazzard (well, I was only six ).

Thought it was crap then, but quite enjoyed it now: The Equalizer

Which old TV shows or movies have disappointed/surprised you upon a re-viewing years later?

Reggie Perrin still captures the essence of corporate and management bulltulip.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
      Reggie Perrin still captures the essence of corporate and management bulltulip.
      I'll need to look up the original Leonard Rossiter version. I didn't think much of the Martin Clunes re-make a couple of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
        I'll need to look up the original Leonard Rossiter version. I didn't think much of the Martin Clunes re-make a couple of years ago.
        Unfortunately the copy is not the same quality as the original.

House of cards, the new statesman, blackadder, series 1- 5 Red Dwarf, Sharpe.

Big bang theory!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Unfortunately the copy is not the same quality as the original.

House of cards, the new statesman, blackadder, series 1- 5 Red Dwarf, Sharpe.

Big bang theory!
          I agree with Blackadder, except for series 1, which for some reason was utterly dire and incomparable to the later series. I've never seen the others, except about half an episode of The New Statesman.

Edit: I missed Red Dwarf in there; yep, series 1-5 of that were fab and are fab.

On the subject of comedies, I must look out Only Fools and Horses, and see if it still stands up.
          Last edited by Gentile; 23 September 2012, 18:52.

Comment

Got the box set of To The Manor Born.

Very gentile humour but very clever.

Comment

Originally posted by palatino winotype View Post
              Got the box set of To The Manor Born.

Very gentile humour but very clever.
              genteel

Comment

Steptoe and Son definitely, although you love it or hate it. On the Buses definitely not - I never saw the appeal of that even at the time.

I always liked Dad's Army, but I can understand why many would think that was fairly lame and dated now (and they did rather run out of ideas towards the end).

The best Carry On films yes, but most were and are pretty weak.

I also think the Will Hay films have stood the test of time pretty well.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I didn't even know there was a remake. Angry at the very idea of it.
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

On the subject of comedies, I must look out Only Fools and Horses, and see if it still stands up.
                    It does!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X