• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cookware

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cookware

I'm about to buy a new Induction cooker and this means replacing the current set of pans we have in the house. Not a bad thing as the current ones aren't a matching set and are the same ones I've had since student days.

So, my question to those who enjoy cooking a home, what type of Induction compatible cookware do the good folk on CUK have or recommend?

Obviously given they must have iron content to be induction compatible and after doing some brief research it seems to be between Lodge, Staub or the ever classic Le Creuset.

I'm currently edging towards getting a nice set of red Le Creuset pans as they'll go we'll with the kitchen, however before buying I thought I'd get some reviews.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by chef View Post
    I'm about to buy a new Induction cooker and this means replacing the current set of pans we have in the house. Not a bad thing as the current ones aren't a matching set and are the same ones I've had since student days.

So, my question to those who enjoy cooking a home, what type of Induction compatible cookware do the good folk on CUK have or recommend?

Obviously given they must have iron content to be induction compatible and after doing some brief research it seems to be between Lodge, Staub or the ever classic Le Creuset.

I'm currently edging towards getting a nice set of red Le Creuset pans as they'll go we'll with the kitchen, however before buying I thought I'd get some reviews.
    We have Le Crueset (in blue) and can't fault them. We bought, pretty much, a full compliment in 2004 and they still look almost brand new.

Comment

No answers I'm afraid, but for my own benefit I'm curious to know if induction-compatible saucepans and frying pans etc would work as well with a gas stove. Or would they need to be thicker/thinner or made of different materials?

edit: Le Crueset certainly looks the part, but what are the relative benefits of cast iron v stainless steel? I would have thought cast iron must take a lot longer to heat the contents and to cool.
      Last edited by OwlHoot; 24 September 2012, 10:35.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          No answers I'm afraid, but for my own benefit I'm curious to know if induction-compatible saucepans and frying pans etc would work as well with a gas stove. Or would they need to be thicker/thinner or made of different materials?
          Essentially, induction works via magnetic fields and so in order to work the pans need iron content, if you're unsure if your current pans work with an induction cooker then simply place a magnet on the under side of the pot, if it sticks it works, if not it doesn't, simples.

Given that induction pans are the same as normal pans but with iron content as opposed to copper or steel then they would work fine.

Comment

Cheers Simon, strangely I had a kettle almost identical to that but without the red parts, very decent it was as well until mad ex Gf chef decided to test boiling it repeatedly without any water in killing the element.

Comment

Wimp!

although apparently since 2008 Bombay Bad Boys have been only a shadow of their former self
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I got given a set of WMF pans about a year ago and they are easily the best pan set I've ever had!

Made all sorts in them and not a scratch on them, easy to clean too

Heartily recommend them, think they are a german company, big over there, not so much over here but available in House of Fraser etc...

HTH
                Join IPSE

Comment

I use Le Creuset Trivita stainless steel pans for day-to-day stuff. Seem adequate enough, although I did chuck out the non-stick pan a while ago as it started to peel. These are much lighter compared to the cast iron stuff...

I have got a couple of the traditional Le Creuset cast iron pots for the larger jobs though.

Comment

I've got a heavy duty le creuset for casseroles and slow cooking and 3 of the stainless steel le creusets for general. I then have a coustance cast iron skillet for dry roasting spices and a SSK non stick for general frying use.

I've also got a bourgeat large 40l pot and a couple of copper stock pots (not sure what make but they were in and around the £150 mark each).
                    Last edited by norrahe; 24 September 2012, 13:03.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X