• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of an era

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of an era

I started working in a Radio and TV shop on Saturdays back in the seventies.

TV's that came in for repair included some that were dual standard - they worked on the VHF 405 lines and the new fangled UHF 625 lines. Some even had colour!

Now it's about to be switched off.

Elreg Linky

Too late for an "Analogue Rules" popular uprising?

Last edited by ctdctd; 25 September 2012, 12:22. Reason: I felt like it

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    I started working in a Radio and TV shop on Saturdays back in the seventies.

TV's that came in for repair included some that were dual standard - they worked on the VHF 405 lines and the new fangled 625 lines. Some even had colour!

Now it's about to be switched off.

Elreg Linky

Too late for an "Analogue Rules" popular uprising?

Perhaps you are better off going here

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Cause Calderdale is part of Yorkshire, and as its closer to Lancashire its not in the reach of the Tyne Tees signal
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

I think a few of us are long overdue for the Contractors Rest Home.
        Maybe you could pop on and we'll show you how to use your IT - for a small fee of course.

Comment

I think a few of us are long overdue for the Contractors Rest Home.
          It's called "CUK General", like a hospital.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Ah, the warm glow of the overheating PL504.

I do miss it so.

Drawing arcs off the topcap anode connection to see if there was any drive at all.

Dear dead days beyond recall.

When the Mullard valve factory was the best way of turning glass tubing into loadsamoney.
            Grandad, things moved on - in about 1948: Transistor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can get a hearing aid now that actually fits in your ear!
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

TV's that came in for repair included some that were dual standard - they worked on the VHF 405 lines and the new fangled UHF 625 lines. Some even had colour!
              It may not be an analogue signal, but 625 lines (actually 576) is still what most people are watching most of the time.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                It may not be an analogue signal, but 625 lines (actually 576) is still what most people are watching most of the time.
                Nah, HD now, wiked init

(I only used to watch 49 lines then - I liked Teletext/Ceefax!)

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  And watching it on their cheap 1920x1080 flat screen T.V. from Tesco no less.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Those were the days. With the old 70s system you could listen to TV sound with a diode and a pair of earphones. Well, you could if you lived next door to the Crystal Palace transmitter anyway.

Still got an old 70s transistor radio, use to to detect wires in the wall.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X