• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can one really think straight if one hasn't undergone rigorous training ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can one really think straight if one hasn't undergone rigorous training ....

...in a hard, highly logical subject at a decent university e.g. maths, physics, engineering, even computer science, and mastered the course with a very good grade?
    Aren't those who have done so snapped up by businesses, for good reason?
    It's obvious that the more poorly educated in the CUK congregation lack thinking skills.
    But what's more worrying is that our leaders Cameron (PPE - requires AS level maths only) and Osborne (History) probably can't think straight.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    ...in a hard, highly logical subject at a decent university e.g. maths, physics, engineering, even computer science, and mastered the course with a very good grade?
    It's obvious that the more poorly educated in the CUK congregation lack thinking skills.
    But what's more worrying is that our leaders Cameron (PPE - requires AS level maths only) and Osborne (History) probably can't think straight.
    Do we have to do all the thinking myself!!! Or can we confer!!!!

Comment

I know what makes you thick. It is your lack of social skills, inability to listen and a looking down on everyone.

Whenever I meet lecturers and professors, I am always struck that the main difference is that lecturers don't want to debate. professors will listen to anything.

And that is why you will always be the lowest of the posters on here. And I have no doubt this post will go over your head like a scud missile.

So now just reply "cretin" to my post and run along.

Comment

Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
        Do we have to do all the thinking myself!!! Or can we confer!!!!
        You can phone a friend. Sasguru phoned a friend earlier. Though that must have been a lie as he has no friends.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I know what makes you thick. It is your lack of social skills, inability to listen and a looking down on everyone.

Whenever I meet lecturers and professors, I am always struck that the main difference is that lecturers don't want to debate. professors will listen to anything.

And that is why you will always be the lowest of the posters on here. And I have no doubt this post will go over your head like a scud missile.

So now just reply "cretin" to my post and run along.
          You really have anger management issues, don't you?
          Seeing a therapist?

PS Sorry for your Meejah studies degree from the Polytechnic of Hull.
          Last edited by sasguru; 25 September 2012, 13:33.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm more inclined to think that the lack of 'rigorous' is better as the training can take you down well worn paths. A case in point is Faraday, a self taught book binder.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              I'm more inclined to think that the lack of 'rigorous' is better as the training can take you down well worn paths. A case in point is Faraday, a self taught book binder.
              Au contraire, Faraday wouldn't have got where he did without rigorous thinking, however gained.
              I get your point, but it's not the rigour, but the pedantry of some dons that may mislead, if you haven't the intelligence to question it.
              Take for example how some professional, usually mediocre, mathematicians despise any explanation of calculus that uses infinitesimals as opposed to the standard episilon-delta explanation*. Yet not only did Newton think in terms of infinitesimals he developed and applied calculus to more practical uses than almost anyone. It's the difference between creativity and pedantry.

*And anyway Robinson has put the theory of infinitesimals on a sound footing.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

You really have anger management issues, don't you?
                Seeing a therapist?

PS Sorry for your Meejah studies degree from the Polytechnic of Hull.
                I only get angry at cretins.
                Can I borrow your therapist?
                I have an upper second in Maths from Exeter university. Though if having a "thinking" degree made me a cretin like you I would rather have the Meejah studies from Hull.

Comment

Au contraire, Faraday wouldn't have got where he did without rigorous thinking, however gained.
                  I get your point, but it's not the rigour, but the pedantry of some dons that may mislead, if you haven't the intelligence to question it.
                  Take for example how some professional, usually mediocre, mathematicians despise any explanation of calculus that uses infinitesimals as opposed to the standard episilon-delta explanation*. Yet not only did Newton think in terms of infinitesimals he developed and applied calculus to more practical uses than almost anyone. It's the difference between creativity and pedantry.

*And anyway Robinson has put the theory of infinitesimals on a sound footing.
                  I think we agree mostly, what I meant is that Faraday wasn't 'trained' to think, he was curious, read some, observed things and then thought about what he had seen and came up with logical explanations that at the time were groundbreaking.

* I have little idea about infinitesimals but I'm applying some rigour in trying to grasp the Accusative and Infinitive Construction in my Latin prep.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

But getting back to my original point, why is some mediocrity with a history degree in charge of the British economy?
                    Al least Vince Cable has one great idea, IMO: the need for a coherent industrial policy.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X