• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not really IT. Television Set standards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really IT. Television Set standards

Maybe I'm being blonde here:

If I buy a nice flat-screen (no special model in mind yet) TV in Germany or Switzerland ...... and later take it to UK, will it work ?

yes

yes, only problem is the plug
    whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Yes, and No.

No it won't unless you change the plug or buy an adapter.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

OK, yes. I meant to add in the op that apart from the power connection... will it plug n play ? I was wondering if different broadcast standards would come into play.

I hope and expect that a TV made in Korea or wherever these days will work just about anywhere.

I just remember my folks having problems with a US bought TV many years ago. NTSC v PAL v ?

Comment

Don't count on it. Depends on the model and how well the tuner copes with differing standards. Even where the picture transmission is identical sound is often transmitted differently. Ask the manufacturer. Some are more flexible than others.

France for example uses SECAM not PAL and a different sound carrier frequency. A standard UK set in France will give black and white and no sound. In practice most modern sets will work fine but it is not guranteed.

If you're looking at HDTV sources then it's not supposed to be a problem.

This might help:

http://www.bigdishsat.com/fs04_stds.php
          Last edited by ASB; 15 June 2006, 12:00.

Comment

Would the different power voltages have any effect?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
              Would the different power voltages have any effect?
              Potentially but doubful. AFAIK nowhere in Europe uses a radically different voltage or frequency. Most power supplies are pretty good at adapting.

Comment

Secam aside, I thought most of Europe used a slightly different version of PAL. So you'll probably get black and white if it can't cope. But that's only going to be analogue, and nobody watches analogue (at least nobody worth talking about).

If it has a DTT tuner in it, then that might well not work. But if you're using it with a Sky/DTT/cable box with SCART of whatever, then you should be okay.

NTSC/PAL is a whole other issue, but I would think any decent modern TV will cope with both if you happen to end up in the US or Japan by mistake.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Nah. All europe uses the same version of PAL.

The difference is in the sound subcarrier separation, they use 5.5MHz and we use 6MHz.

Because we're British and proud of it.
                  I thought only Germans used diff sound subcarrier

& I thought France was SECAM

but without being arsed to googleI could be talking usual tosh
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Nah. All europe uses the same version of PAL.

The difference is in the sound subcarrier separation, they use 5.5MHz and we use 6MHz.

Because we're British and proud of it.
                    Nope, only the mainland. Where PAL is used it is PAL G we use PAL I. The difference is more than just the sound seperation (but it might not matter). To be portable through all of europe you need:-

PAL - G/I
                    Secam - K/L

PAL - B probably wouldn't hurt if you are desperate to pick up the VHF TV still being transmitted. I think RTE still transmit on VHF.

Comment

Working...
                    X