• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice please

Coming up to my 2 year renewal (contract ends to morrow) all going well until this morning.

Some back gound the client has a 5 year rule . No contractors to work for longer than 5 years.

Just found out this morning that due to the HP court case they have reduced this to 2 years. MY boss is hopping mad.

Hes trying to get 3 month extention with the intention of going perminent. I've discussed this with him in the past saying cash in pocket was the primary issue but to date no figure forth coming.
    There is little chance of the renewal coming up by tomorrow.

What do I do

leave at the end of tomorrow?
    Turn up monday without contract and hope that the renewal comes through?

PS get the impression that the boss doesn't want to loose me but has been told to reduce head count in his team globally so no garentee that permy role exists with head count freezes etc.

A dilema

First of all, why have you left it this late - you've known for months about it ...

Contractor rule #1 - always plan ahead ...

Comment

Never work without a contract. You should also know you're probably not insured to drive to the client, work at the client or covered for the product of anything you make at the client.

Go on holiday, then find a new gig. 2 years is enough shirley? Lifers don't get that much.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

extension
        permanent
        lose
        guarantee
        dilemma

I would take a week off, then come back, and hey presto! - a new 2-year period starts.

PS HR are c unts
        We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

When you gotta go you gotta go , cant remember how many contracts Ive had but it averages 3 per year and Ive been doing it 10 years.

Sometimes you do get some smirky tw@t permy gloating over the fact that your leaving and have no other contract to go to , but thats contracting and if we were insecure people who panic when a new contract was to be found then we would probably give up contracting and become permies.

Keep cool about it , two years is a good time for a contract and I think you would definitely get some agro from the IR if they knew , so the fact that you could be moving on may be a good thing.

Unless you cant afford to dont take the first crap contract that comes along , its not just the money its where your headed that also counts , so chill out , make the best of the UK sunshine and wait for the next one

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
            extension
            permanent
            lose
            guarantee
            dilemma
            tomorrow
            background
            he's
            forthcoming

The bank I work for has a strict policy that no contractor should be employed for longer than 12 months. This initially worried me, but 12 months came and went and HR granted a 'special exemption' from this rule. So I wouldn't be suprised if your boss put your case forward then you may get an extension.

Comment

So I wouldn't be suprised if your boss put your case forward
              surprised

Monday (capital M)
              We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black.
                The bank I work for has a strict policy that no contractor should be employed for longer than 12 months.
                Which bank, out of interest? Several HR muppets are doing this as a result of the Dacas/Muscat decision, fearing contractors claiming permanent employee rights after 367 days (like we want them anyway...).

It's complete bollox, of course, since the Muscat thing would apply after one day if it applied at all. We need to start some re-education it seems.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                  extension
                  permanent
                  lose
                  guarantee
                  dilemma

I would take a week off, then come back, and hey presto! - a new 2-year period starts.

PS HR are c unts
                  Agreed, if that works, failing that, no contract, don't turn up to site, its simply not worth the complications that may arise. I remember working with a guy who lost 6 weeks money due to not having a renewal and yet being promised. Your call though mate.
                  Last edited by lORD lUCAN; 15 June 2006, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                    Which bank, out of interest? Several HR muppets are doing this as a result of the Dacas/Muscat decision, fearing contractors claiming permanent employee rights after 367 days (like we want them anyway...).

It's complete bollox, of course, since the Muscat thing would apply after one day if it applied at all. We need to start some re-education it seems.
                    UBS

Comment

Working...
                    X