• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Contract with European Travel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Contract with European Travel

Hi, All.

I'm currently in the middle of a UK IT contract and work through an agency via my own limited company. The client has asked if I can spend a few days in Luxembourg to perform an infrastructure review and have offered to book flights, hotels etc.

As I'm not a direct employee of the client, and with an eye on IR35 legislation, I don't think this would be a favourable option?

So the question is, how do I work this? I'm happy to be flexible in terms of the requirements but I don't to be out of pocket in terms of the expense. I put the same question to my agency (who I bill on a monthly basis) and they had this to say:

"The company is asking you to go as part of your contract position there so there is no issue with them paying and arranging all of the travel, accommodation etc. They are asking you to consult on a piece of work away from the base location of your contract so it doesn’t compromise your IR35 status and you’re fine to let them arrange things."

This (European Travel) isn't mentioned as a specific item in my contract, so I wonder whether you agree with the statement above or whether I should look at paying for flights, accommodation and general expenses myself and then claiming those expenses back?

Any advice would be appreciated.

With thanks,
    Carl

They provide you with a desk and a laptop to do your work so why not a flight and a hotel to do your work? I don't see a problem. If they want you there they can get you there.

What is bad is using their expenses system like the permies. If you do pay for it yourself you invoice it back, not expense it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      What is bad is using their expenses system like the permies. If you do pay for it yourself you invoice it back, not expense it.
      Not sure how big ClientCo is, but find out if they have a dedicated Consultant travel policy document. It should outline how much/if they will reimburse you for meals, mini bar and other costs such as getting to&from the airport/hotel/office.

I'm sure you know this, but get receipts for everything and as above, invoice for your expenses. Someone else pon here maybe able to help you with the question of whether to add VAT on an EU expenses only invoice, as I always travel outside the EU so don't know about this bit.

Comment

Originally posted by weerabbit View Post
        The client has asked if I can spend a few days in Luxembourg to perform an infrastructure review and have offered to book flights, hotels etc.

As I'm not a direct employee of the client, and with an eye on IR35 legislation, I don't think this would be a favourable option?
        I would presume that it's fine to let the client go ahead and book and pay for it for you since I've never seen an IR35 case or HMRC case study where the client paying for the worker's travel expenses was mentioned. Anyone know of one?
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          I would presume that it's fine to let the client go ahead and book and pay for it for you since I've never seen an IR35 case or HMRC case study where the client paying for the worker's travel expenses was mentioned. Anyone know of one?
          Nope because it won't happen. As per my example if falls in to exactly the same category as the laptop they give you and the desk you sit at. It is a tool to do the clients work so them providing it isn't a problem.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X