• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Phone Repair Cost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Phone Repair Cost

So my 6 week old new Samsung phone had decided not to charge and so I have had to send it to Virgin for warranty repair. I argued for a replacement phone being only 6 weeks old but no joy. So they took it in and phoned today saying problem is due to 'liquid damage' and £70 repair bill. I have asked the Virgin call rep to give me more details and she said she would phone back, and as expected, has not.

I will chase up, but how can I get Virgin to prove this is the reason and not just saying this ? Or have I no choice and just pay the £70 to get it fixed ?

Don't they have moisture sensors in them now - if it gets wet, they know.

Did it get wet?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      So my 6 week old new Samsung phone had decided not to charge and so I have had to send it to Virgin for warranty repair. I argued for a replacement phone being only 6 weeks old but no joy. So they took it in and phoned today saying problem is due to 'liquid damage' and £70 repair bill. I have asked the Virgin call rep to give me more details and she said she would phone back, and as expected, has not.

I will chase up, but how can I get Virgin to prove this is the reason and not just saying this ? Or have I no choice and just pay the £70 to get it fixed ?
      Put it in writing. Then to small claims. Demand a new phone.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Had the same issue. Liquid damage invalidates the warranty regardless of whether it caused the fault.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

Then you should have quoted the Sale of Goods Act to them and said you'd go to the small claims court if they dont supply a new phone.

The SoG Acts states any item bought new that develops a fault in the first 6 months, it is deemed the fault was present at time of sale and should be replaced like for like or money back. The Act also says you dont have to provide any fault report by an independent expert which a lot of places try and make you do to get any satisfaction.

Get on the blower to them first thing in the morning and quote the SoG Act, any defect in the first 6 months is deemed to be present at time of sale and you want a new replacement, not a fix or your money back.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

It's a common get out clause which if you watch any of those consumer type programs they show mobile phone retailers and companies try with lots of people.

If the phone didn't get wet then do as speling bee said and send your letter by recorded signed for.

If you want the phone fixed in the mean time send it to them and make sure you put in a letter, which you need to keep a copy of, that you are paying the £70 under protest as you need your phone. Also make sure you indicate that there is a letter attached.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've had iPhones, well, me and family - seven of us - one had a clicking back, one front camera stopped working but also had well ruined speaker grille (unexplained) - another had small split near connector, another had wonky power button and one now (mine!) has inexplicable really poor 3G performance recently.

This over last five years, all replaced at Apple Store without any issue or lecture or warnings, sure mine will be tmrw at Apple Store, all of them seemed to be nearing the end of their free one year warranty, and then granted a further three month warranty.

Apple, tastic....

Comment

I once dropped a phone into a toilet. I fished it out and took it into the shop and explained what happened, and they insisted on sending it away and getting it diagnosed with "water damage".

Don't you have insurance?
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  It's a common get out clause which if you watch any of those consumer type programs they show mobile phone retailers and companies try with lots of people.

If the phone didn't get wet then do as speling bee said and send your letter by recorded signed for.

If you want the phone fixed in the mean time send it to them and make sure you put in a letter, which you need to keep a copy of, that you are paying the £70 under protest as you need your phone. Also make sure you indicate that there is a letter attached.
                  I wouldn't accept a repair after 6 weeks. Polite but firm letter, signed for, copied to Branson. Replacement or court.
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Daughter's phone developed a fault about four months after it got wet. I queried whether the fault was caused by the water and they basically said it was irrelevant, if the phone had water ingress, the warranty was invalid.

However, if BB is correct, they would need to prove the fault was caused by water damage, and not just that the moisture sensors were blown.

Did your phone get wet?

Comment

Working...
                    X