• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contact Lenses - who wears them on here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contact Lenses - who wears them on here?

Recently had to get some new specs as I left mine on a flight and decided to try/have an assessment for lenses. I only wear glasses for VDU work or reading in crap lighting but it's increasingly a PITA for menus etc when out for the evening.

Does anyone bother with them these days? Mates of mine who've tried them in the past seem to have given up on them.

Aside: it was a bit weird seeing myself with real vision and no glasses for the first time in years. What can I say, Mrs PL is a lucky lady
    Last edited by Pondlife; 26 September 2012, 20:22.

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Recently had to get some new specs as I left mine on a flight and decided to try have an assessment for lenses. I only wear glasses for VDU work or reading in crap lighting but it's increasingly a PITA for menus etc when out for the evening.

Does anyone bother with them these days? Mates of mine who've tried them in the past seem to have given up on them.

Aside: it was a bit weird seeing myself with real vision and no glasses for the first time in years. What can I say, Mrs PL is a lucky lady
    I didn't know you could get contacts for reading / monitor. Might try those out while I still have some eyesight, due another eye test so I'll sound out the optician.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      I didn't know you could get contacts for reading / monitor. Might try those out while I still have some eyesight, due another eye test so I'll sound out the optician.
      This is kind of why others have given up on them. They don't seem ideal for IT work as you're constantly blinking which gets annoying. So far my impression is glasses are better for staring at a screen close up but CL seem to be fine for going out of an evening.

YMMV

Comment

This is kind of why others have given up on them. They don't seem ideal for IT work as you're constantly blinking which gets annoying. So far my impression is glasses are better for staring at a screen close up but CL seem to be fine for going out of an evening.

YMMV
        Maybe worth a shot for being out and about, less chance of leaving the specs in a restaurant.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

I've used them since I was 16 ... many moons ago. They've been around since the Victorian era I heard.

I use the Boots "high water content" daily disposable soft lenses, these are high gas permeable so that oxygen gets to you eye easier and you can wear them 15+ hours without noticing them or them drying even after a hard days work staring at the monitor.

Also if your eye is shaped a bit like a rugby ball instead of completely spherical then you can get soft TORIC lenses, also high water content.

I'm scared of lazering them in case something goes wrong and is irreversible.

Comment

sas does, extreme masturbating does that to Maths geniuses...

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
              I've used them since I was 16 ... many moons ago. They've been around since the Victorian era I heard.

I use the Boots "high water content" daily disposable soft lenses, these are high gas permeable so that oxygen gets to you eye easier and you can wear them 15+ hours without noticing them or them drying even after a hard days work staring at the monitor.

Also if your eye is shaped a bit like a rugby ball instead of completely spherical then you can get soft TORIC lenses, also high water content.

Means nothing to me but if I can use them for work that would be great and being out and about would be a bonus. How about long distance as in driving and reading road signs? I can't see the car instruments without glasses but can't read road signs with them, bifocals don't work. This is an issue that has stopped my flying along with other eye problems.

Don't mind a compromise if I can't drive with them.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                That was just the question I was about to ask. My eyesight has gone a bit poor recently. Never worn glasses or contact lenses. I think I'd find contact lenses too annoying to wear and mess around with. Anyone on here had Laser Eye Surgery? Expensive? Any good? Or a ruddy waste of time and you've gone back to glasses or contacts?
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  Means nothing to me but if I can use them for work that would be great and being out and about would be a bonus. How about long distance as in driving and reading road signs? I can't see the car instruments without glasses but can't read road signs with them, bifocals don't work. This is an issue that has stopped my flying along with other eye problems.

Don't mind a compromise if I can't drive with them.
                  AFAIK you can get both +/- prescriptions and also ones for astigmatism. Should be fine for driving/flying as far as I can see (gettit).

Comment

AFAIK you can get both +/- prescriptions and also ones for astigmatism. Should be fine for driving/flying as far as I can see (gettit).
                    Interesting, I'll check them out for sure.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X