• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F1 - Hamilton has joined Mercedes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F1 - Hamilton has joined Mercedes

Didn't see that coming. Thought he'd sorted things out with Mclaren.

Well, at least the music has stopped and we'll see who gets a chair and where.

Perez to Mclaren, Schumacher to Sauber and Hamilton to Mercedes...

Hamilton signs for Mercedes

He's going to regret that move.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I don't know. I think Button has really moved in on the team and has the ear of Whitmarsh, and I think it is this, that's made him move. Be aware also, that Mclaren have to pay for their engines soon, which is shown in taking on the pay driver (Perez) instead of someone who is quick, but doesn't bring money. The engines change soon as well, and Mercedes will be designing their car to fit the new engine and gearbox from now, Mclaren, being customers, will only be given the engine a few months in advance.

Could be a very smart move; my money would be on Mercedes, Brawn and Hamilton being a very successful team.

Comment

How much of this is marketing the Hamilton brand?

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          I would feel it's likely although Mercedes are I supposed the best other team if you're thinking long-term.

No doubt he's getting an absolute fortune but I don't reckon that's the reason, unless his management people have twisted his arm into making financial decisions - he always seems incredibly hungry to win another championship.

It's a bit sucky for Rosberg, since Lewis' contract makes him unequivocal #1 driver at Mercedes now. Rosberg always seemed a great driver but now is being passed by in favour of Perez and DiResta, etc.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            How much of this is marketing Hamilton?
            Mercedes obviously see Hamilton as 'rock star' material, especially in the states, and this will help them remove the middle aged bracket their cars are seen in. I think, genuinely, this is a very smart move, and have done all along. Brawn, Mercedes and Hamilton will win. Mercedes just signed the Concorde agreement to stay in F1 until at least 2020 and they will win. Rule changes coming soon too, which always throws the cars in the air.

Remember, when was the last time Mclaren won anything, and then look at the time before that.

I didn't think he would leave Mclaren though. Not at all.

Rosberg being #2, well, that surprises me, as I didn't think he'd ever agree to that. Rosberg and Hamilton were team mates in Karts, sponsored by AMG as it happens, and Hamilton regularly beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              I don't know. I initially thought that but 2014 brings new rules and entirely new engines 1.6 v6 Turbos rather than the current 2.4l v8's.

Maclaren are planning to run their own engines from then which may or may not have an impact.

Plus Maclaren are known for restricting other commercial rights, Mercedes probably aren't as ruthless.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I don't know. I initially thought that but 2014 brings new rules and entirely new engines 1.6 v6 Turbos rather than the current 2.4l v8's.

Maclaren are planning to run their own engines from then which may or may not have an impact.

Plus Maclaren are known for restricting other commercial rights, Mercedes probably aren't as ruthless.
                eek, Mclaren aren't planning to run their own engines from 2014, as they have a commercial agreement with Mercedes until 2015. They also don't have the skills in house.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

It does throw things open a bit but only means we can be less sure who will be good... Mercedes might be great or they might suck. What we do know is that McLaren and Ferrari always fight back from things being bad.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    It does throw things open a bit but only means we can be less sure who will be good... Mercedes might be great or they might suck. What we do know is that McLaren and Ferrari always fight back from things being bad.
                    Mclaren last won something in 2008 with a certain young English driver. Before that, you have to go back to 1999. For every good car they build, they seem to have a dog for a few years. MP4/24 I think, in 2009 was a shocker.

Comment

Working...
                    X