• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ITIL Master?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITIL Master?

Has anyone working in the dark arts of Service Management considered the (finally defined) ITIL Master cert?

Common sense would say it's a nice differentiator to have and should help in securing higher rates for process rollouts/transformation projects. BUT, it's 3500 GBP just to apply, and then 6 - 12 months of work, a 15000 word thesis and the ITIL Interrogation squad. So I'd expect a decnet return on that effort, over the longer term anyway.

I'm tempted, but wonder if anyone has also evaluated it or even started it?

Originally posted by Obbiie View Post
    Has anyone working in the dark arts of Service Management considered the (finally defined) ITIL Master cert?

Common sense would say it's a nice differentiator to have and should help in securing higher rates for process rollouts/transformation projects. BUT, it's 3500 GBP just to apply, and then 6 - 12 months of work, a 15000 word thesis and the ITIL Interrogation squad. So I'd expect a decnet return on that effort, over the longer term anyway.

I'm tempted, but wonder if anyone has also evaluated it or even started it?
    <cough>

er, no ta very much.

Last edited by oscarose; 28 September 2012, 14:00. Reason: error
    one day at a time

Comment

I may consider it next year - it depends on whether it's worth the ROI and I don't expect to be able to research that for a year or so...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If it was easy everyone would have it.

There was a big push towards ITIL especially in the public sector, but its now been watered down a bit like Prince2, its nice to have on your CV but doesn't add much value. I will stick at Expert, no desire to go to Master
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I may consider it next year - it depends on whether it's worth the ROI and I don't expect to be able to research that for a year or so...
          Yeah, that's my problem, nobody really has it yet and nobody is really asking for it yet so it's tough to gauge ROI.

My issue is that I'm right at the start of the perfect project for this now (Program Managing a full transformation of a global IT org using ITIL along with an associated SM tool rollout) So if I build up the 'work package' as I go through this project it would make it a lot easier.

I have to say I'm happy it's out there though, and even happier it's not an 'enhanced multiple choice'. Like the old days of Red Badge.
          Last edited by Obbiie; 28 September 2012, 14:14. Reason: 101 spelling errors

Comment

Just put it on your CV as a bare-faced lie....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Just put it on your CV as a bare-faced lie....
              Rather difficult to carry that off for long http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qua...andidates.aspx
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Rather difficult to carry that off for long http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qua...andidates.aspx
                You but who checks? Mine says '25 meters Breast Stroke' and I can't even swim....

Comment

I beg to differ. I don't think it is necessary if you have years of experience and I don't think it will pull in any higher rates either unless you are going for a Service Director level role, to which you need experience as well so go back to my first sentence.

I did my old ITIL in bits and bats between contracts as needed and I don't feel it made a difference to any roles I got. They asked for foundation minimum and the rest was down to experience.

The only differentiator I think you need is to have the qualification covering off the role you do. If you want to go pure service transition do the module only etc... the rest they are not bothered about.

SimonMac nailed it with his comment. Remember this will make you master of all that is service and that just isn't what contractors do.

Nice to have I guess, needed? definitely not IMO.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I take your point for sure NL, most of the roles I do (previously as a permie but now for the highest bidder) are transformation projects across the whole lifecycle in which I call on experts who have the deeper level of knowledge in their areas, such as transition as you mention.

So yeah, if I was going to focus on one aspect of the lifecycle then it has little value. But my bag is taking a company from bad/clueless or even greenfield to somewhat mature, with ITIL process that works for their special circumstances. And I feel that the big badge in the full lifecycle is a good stamp of approval to say I do that in a best/good/whatevertheywillcallitinV4 practice manner.

But I agree 100% that no badge is a substitute for experience. And in the ITIL game it's 'real world' experience that most people lack. 'What the book says' is great, but no substitute for having actually been an ops person/manager using the processes to fight real fires or build/transition real services etc...

Comment

Working...
                    X