• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Blimey! (tm) Powergen shuts India call centres

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Blimey! (tm) Powergen shuts India call centres

"Powergen shuts India call centres

Powergen says overseas call centres still have a place - just not for them

Energy firm Powergen is to close its Indian call centres, with staff in the UK dealing with customers instead.

It said the move would create 450 new jobs by the end of the year and reduce the number of customer complaints.

Powergen began using call centres in India five years ago citing, like many other businesses, the financial benefits it brought.

But the firm said it was "not prepared to achieve savings at the risk or expense of customer satisfaction".

Customer confidence

"Offshore call centres may have their place for certain industries," said Powergen's managing director, Nick Horler.

"However, we believe that we can best achieve industry-leading customer service by operating solely in the UK.

"When customers contact us they need to be confident that their query will be fully resolved quickly."

The new jobs will be created at the centres in Bedford, Bolton, Leicester, Nottingham and Rayleigh in Essex.

Customers ringing Powergen will now be answered in the UK though calls to customers will continue to be made from India for the rest of 2006.

Powergen is owned by German utility group E.ON."

Might be switching my electricity / gas provider.....
    Vieze Oude Man

Originally posted by mcquiggd
    Might be switching my electricity / gas provider.....
    No don't - they are absolute incompetant bastards. I've had my electricity meter read the last 8 times and the buggers still send me out a bill with an estimated total in it.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

They all do that - at least I'll be lied to in English though....
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Snigger.....
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

"A thousand greetings to you, sir. My name is Muhammud el-Magid Adel Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani Bary Abdul, but you may be calling me Barry. Long live the king..."

etc etc
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Let's hope they dont transfer the centres to Glasgow or NI. Tried to get a phone connected by BT a few months back and got an NI lady, couldn't understand a word.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I'm claiming this one.

I've just settled an 18 month battle with these feckers after they opened me a second electricity account. I tried repeatedly to get through to their Indian Call centre staff that this would not be normal and was lied to, fobbed off, hung up on and diverted to a supervisor (ie their mate sat next to them). I even had bailiffs turn up at my door and many threatening letters.

Eventually I got hold of Powergen's Head of Customer Support who put one of his aides on it and she eventually sorted it out only to find I was in credit.

I gave them some very strong opinions on their Indian Call Centre which they've obviously taken to heart and done something about ("No, I don't believe your name is 'Dave'".

Sweet victory!
              Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                "A thousand greetings to you, sir. My name is Muhammud el-Magid Adel Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani Bary Abdul, but you may be calling me Barry. Long live the king..."

etc etc

That will be the new Bradford call centre then?

Comment

www.powergenitalia.com seems to have gone as well.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                    Let's hope they dont transfer the centres to Glasgow or NI. Tried to get a phone connected by BT a few months back and got an NI lady, couldn't understand a word.
                    *twat smilie*

Comment

Working...
                    X