PDA

View Full Version : Potato Cells

suityou01
30th September 2012, 13:39
Just did the experiment with SY03/4/5

Even with 3 or 4 potatoes in series we could still not get a torch lamp to glow. :(

I was using galvanised nails and copper nails.

We got 4 volts at one point according to my meter.

Even tried a led, still no joy.

We used a combination of king edwards and baking spuds. Even at one point I spliced in a lemon.

The kids were excited to see volts, but a little disappointed not to see the lamp glow.

Anyone ever try this? What levels of success did you get?

:nerd:nerd:nerd:nerd:nerd

Spacecadet
30th September 2012, 13:50

Even with 3 or 4 potatoes in series we could still not get a torch lamp to glow. :(

We used a combination of king edwards and baking spuds. Even at one point I spliced in a lemon.

The kids were excited to see volts, but a little disappointed not to see the lamp glow.

Have you got the polarities the correct way round?

doodab
30th September 2012, 13:51
I suspect you don't have enough raisins. Or is it currants?

hyperD
30th September 2012, 13:51

I tried a Duracell and can report from my findings, 100% success

:D

Old Hack
30th September 2012, 14:46
I built a spud mortar last month for the crack. Powered by Lynx it can propel King Edwards a good half a kilometre. I did try a Maris Piper and can report that went a good 500 metres too. I then put too much Lynx in the chamber and blew a few seals. I shall be repairing it over the coming weeks. Far better than a lamp...

MadDawg
30th September 2012, 15:01
I built a spud mortar last month for the crack. Powered by Lynx it can propel King Edwards a good half a kilometre. I did try a Maris Piper and can report that went a good 500 metres too. I then put too much Lynx in the chamber and blew a few seals. I shall be repairing it over the coming weeks. Far better than a lamp...

That reminds me of a joke....

Penguin eating ice cream - Joke (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jokes/read/665701/)

suityou01
30th September 2012, 15:37
Have you got the polarities the correct way round?

Yes. What a question :rolleyes:

EternalOptimist
30th September 2012, 17:08
I made the missus a 'jacket 12v car battery' covered in grated cheese for her tea last week. All her teeth and gums fell out.

In future, the battery stays in the car and the king eddies stay in the cupboard. thats my advice

:rolleyes:

BrilloPad
30th September 2012, 17:13
Zeity can get a gloow using the heart of one of his "esteemed customers". Which he then eats.

Troll
30th September 2012, 20:07
We used to build tanks using a cotton bobbin, an elastic band and a couple of matchsticks

DTH?

escapeUK
30th September 2012, 20:09
Isnt there more modern things to show kids now days?

Moscow Mule
30th September 2012, 20:16
Check your amps too - if there aren't enough, it doesn't matter what voltage you've got...

EternalOptimist
30th September 2012, 21:35
Check your amps too - if there aren't enough, it doesn't matter what voltage you've got...

er....

nooo........

d000hg
30th September 2012, 21:37
Do lemons work?

suityou01
1st October 2012, 05:47
Do lemons work?

Re-read the op. :smokin

EMEAfixer
1st October 2012, 10:22
Isnt there more modern things to show kids now days?

Yes indeed, mine do things with Raspberries instead of playing around with Spuds.

EternalOptimist
1st October 2012, 10:58
We used to build tanks using a cotton bobbin, an elastic band and a couple of matchsticks

DTH?

yep

we used to get the silver paper from the woodbines packets, a couple of ball bearings and make 'mexican jumping beans'

oh, and youse needed a matchbox to shake them into the right shape

Paddy
1st October 2012, 11:26
yep

we used to get the silver paper from the woodbines packets, a couple of ball bearings and make 'mexican jumping beans'

oh, and youse needed a matchbox to shake them into the right shape

We used to fill milk churns with weed killer and sugar.