• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Potato Cells

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potato Cells

Just did the experiment with SY03/4/5

Even with 3 or 4 potatoes in series we could still not get a torch lamp to glow.

I was using galvanised nails and copper nails.

We got 4 volts at one point according to my meter.

Even tried a led, still no joy.

We used a combination of king edwards and baking spuds. Even at one point I spliced in a lemon.

The kids were excited to see volts, but a little disappointed not to see the lamp glow.

Anyone ever try this? What levels of success did you get?

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Even with 3 or 4 potatoes in series we could still not get a torch lamp to glow.

We used a combination of king edwards and baking spuds. Even at one point I spliced in a lemon.

The kids were excited to see volts, but a little disappointed not to see the lamp glow.

Have you got the polarities the correct way round?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I suspect you don't have enough raisins. Or is it currants?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

I tried a Duracell and can report from my findings, 100% success

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I built a spud mortar last month for the crack. Powered by Lynx it can propel King Edwards a good half a kilometre. I did try a Maris Piper and can report that went a good 500 metres too. I then put too much Lynx in the chamber and blew a few seals. I shall be repairing it over the coming weeks. Far better than a lamp...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            I built a spud mortar last month for the crack. Powered by Lynx it can propel King Edwards a good half a kilometre. I did try a Maris Piper and can report that went a good 500 metres too. I then put too much Lynx in the chamber and blew a few seals. I shall be repairing it over the coming weeks. Far better than a lamp...
            That reminds me of a joke....

Penguin eating ice cream - Joke

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Have you got the polarities the correct way round?
              Yes. What a question
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I made the missus a 'jacket 12v car battery' covered in grated cheese for her tea last week. All her teeth and gums fell out.

In future, the battery stays in the car and the king eddies stay in the cupboard. thats my advice

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Zeity can get a gloow using the heart of one of his "esteemed customers". Which he then eats.

Comment

We used to build tanks using a cotton bobbin, an elastic band and a couple of matchsticks

DTH?
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X