• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've really had enough of HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've really had enough of HMRC

A few months ago HMRC tried to fine me £400 for not doing my end of year return, before my company existed.

I appealed and they cancelled it.

They have just sent me a letter saying i owe them £400 for not doing my end of year return this year, which i have quite clearly done.

WTF is wrong with these people? Are they seriously just banking on the hope that people won't be bothered/will forget to appeal these hair-brained decisions?

You know the old adage.... If you don't ask you won't get
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know the feeling. When you ring them up the people are always lovely, accepting that they make mistakes all the time, and generally sort things out. But when their mad computer is simultaneously mailing you every week threatening fiery retribution, it makes a law-abiding taxpayers feel darn infuriated.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        WNLS!!!

BTW. Northern Lad, can you lend me a tenner?!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          bloody hell, what have you done with NLUK?

Comment

You should try section 58! What a reach around that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
              A few months ago HMRC tried to fine me £400 for not doing my end of year return, before my company existed.

They have just sent me a letter saying i owe them £400 for not doing my end of year return this year, which i have quite clearly done.

WTF is wrong with these people? Are they seriously just banking on the hope that people won't be bothered/will forget to appeal these hair-brained decisions?

Agreed.
              but
              Hare brained

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post

Similar story here, they rocked up with a letter claiming I owe them £430, going back 3 years because my ex(permie) employer can't count, it was a PAYE job and so obviously I am not responsible for any miscalculation in the tax paid.

Comment

Originally posted by JaybeeInCUK View Post
                  so obviously I am not responsible for any miscalculation in the tax paid.
                  That's not what I heard

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    That's not what I heard

I obviously know what my gross and net pay were. If HMRC didn't receive all the tax money then it's the employer they should chase, and that's what I'll tell them.

Comment

Working...
                    X