• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poverty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poverty

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5084648.stm

People who work and claim benefits do so often because they are in dire financial trouble, a Joseph Rowntree Foundation (JRF) study has said.
    Many claimants took illegal cash-in-hand jobs to pay for food and heating or to make debt repayments.

The study's author said they were "hard-working, ordinary people trying to survive day by day".

The study called for reform of the tax and benefits system to move people from illegal jobs into legitimate work.

The JRF study was based on six years of work by the East London Community Links project.

The Community Links project offers those in deprived areas education, childcare provision as well as help and advice.

It found that people working and claiming benefits did so out of "need not greed".

Spokesman Aaron Barbour said: "If you're poor and living in a deprived area, informal work is actually helping people out of absolute abject poverty, helping them survive.

"It's providing for the basics like food and heating."

Despite the introduction of tax credits, designed to supplement the incomes of the low-paid, many people in the study said they felt the system trapped them in a poverty cycle.

In short, the tax and benefits system provided these people with few financial incentives to give up benefits and declare paid work.

More understanding

People with health and childcare issues were particularly prone to working in what is often called the "informal economy".

"They are hard-working, ordinary people trying to survive day by day," Aaron Barbour, study author and Community Links' policy development manager, said.

"The government needs to understand and include the informal economy in all its strategies if it is to reach its employment, anti-poverty and regeneration targets," he added.

The study called for there to be more support, training and development for people who wanted to move from cash-in-hand to formal work.

It added that there also needed to be tax and benefit reform, based on an understanding of why people worked cash-in-hand.

In addition, employers needed to allow more flexible working for those with health and childcare issues.

As for government measures to combat benefit fraud, the study concluded they had "limited success where poverty drives the decision to work informally".

Simple solution (as has been said here a thousand times).

1. Flat rate tax system
    2. Remove most of the benefits system
    3. Scrap the pathetic, idiotic tax credits system.
    4. Give everyone a large tax free allowance (I would say £10K min)

Result is less dependence on the state and more people working.

It found that people working and claiming benefits did so out of "need not greed".

I wonder if I could get away with using that excuse in court?... I personally only earn £10k p.a. and have 3 kids to support
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

None of these "poor" people, drink, smoke, have mobile phones or satellite television, do they?
      We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
        I personally only earn £10k p.a. and have 3 kids to support
        Is that really what a young troll is refered to as?

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
          None of these "poor" people, drink, smoke, have mobile phones or satellite television, do they?
          Water under the bridge now as I'm nearly as rich as Threaded, But when I first left home I had to take a job for less than £50K - This as you can imagine was really hard work (But I always managed to find money for cigars & champers)
          Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by wc2
            Water under the bridge now as I'm nearly as rich as Threaded, But when I first left home I had to take a job for less than £50K - This as you can imagine was really hard work (But I always managed to find money for cigars & champers)
            I can't even begin to imagine how you survived!

Comment

“I wonder if I could get away with using that excuse in court?... I personally only earn £10k p.a. and have 3 kids to support”

I WATCHED ONE Court case that was prosecuting a claimant for not declaring earnings of £11 per week (casual). Yet I wonder how many members of the jury where honest in claiming their Court expenses? Not only that I have never known a barrister not to fiddle his travel claim or to exaggerate his hours. But that is not called fiddling in the legal word as it comes under “Costs Assessment” when someone objects to the fiddling. A few weeks not declaring £11 results in hundreds if not thousands of pounds being fiddled in expenses in the case.
              HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by wc2
                Oh come off it! Nobody is even remotely as rich as Threaded.

I hear Gates has withrawn from public life because he was so embarrassed at coming second to Threaded in the Rich Cvnts of the World index.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

The study called for there to be more support, training and development for people who wanted to move from cash-in-hand to formal work.

Why would they want to move to formal work when they can get cash in hand jobs and avoid the contribution to Brownstuff??

Comment

The study called for reform of the tax and benefits system to move people from illegal jobs into legitimate work.
                    I agree totally with that. My suggested reform. Abolish tax. Abolish benefits. Huge boost to incentives from top to bottom of the economic scale. Since there is no tax to evade or benefits to falsely claim, all jobs that are not illegal are automatically legitimate.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X