• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh the horror...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh the horror...

Currently reviewing poorly running off-shored developments on behalf of a client. It's painful. Really really dreadful.

People were paid to produce this crap?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Been there seen it done it... use phrases like "not fit for purpose" "will have to be completely re-worked"

Makes you wonder what the true cost to UK PLC is in continuing with the busted offshore model
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Currently reviewing poorly running off-shored developments on behalf of a client. It's painful. Really really dreadful.

I predict that next they'll convince themselves that it'd somehow be cheaper to get you to "fix" the "broken" (read: "never actually worked") solution, rather than write something that actually does work from scratch. Sometimes, life is a bed of roses, at other times it's a field of tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
        I predict that next they'll convince themselves that it'd somehow be cheaper to get you to "fix" the "broken" (read: "never actually worked") solution, rather than write something that actually does work from scratch. Sometimes, life is a bed of roses, at other times it's a field of tulip.
        It doesn't matter if its cheaper or not. Fixing "proves" that they didn't waste all their money offshoring the work, starting afresh means admitting that offshore was a bad idea and no manager wants to admit to making a bad decision let alone an expensive bad decision.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It will go that way. And then when it goes pear-shaped again, it gets rewritten properly... and I get paid twice for the same work.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Worse than that, some managerman got a bonus for offshoring it.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It will go that way. And then when it goes pear-shaped again, it gets rewritten properly... and I get paid twice for the same work.
              No, by that time you'll be the "useless contractor" that "advised" them to try "fixing" the original crapfest rather than starting from scratch as they'll belatedly realise they should have.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                No, by that time you'll be the "useless contractor" that "advised" them to try "fixing" the original crapfest rather than starting from scratch as they'll belatedly realise they should have.
                Options papers are very good for arse covering Give em a choice and let them make the (bad) decisions. After all, they clearly have a track record.

Comment

Makes me laugh when the onshore folks poke all the blame at the offshore teams without checking what was specified in the first place, what governance was in place at the time, what acceptance criteria was set and the how the handback was QA'd.

People in glass houses and all that. I am currently working with an offshore team who have no wriggle room to deliver crap and understand to ask questions if they are not sure. Ie properly managed. Net result, we get a quality deliverable.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    Makes me laugh when the onshore folks poke all the blame at the offshore teams without checking what was specified in the first place, what governance was in place at the time, what acceptance criteria was set and the how the handback was QA'd.

People in glass houses and all that. I am currently working with an offshore team who have no wriggle room to deliver crap and understand to ask questions if they are not sure. Ie properly managed. Net result, we get a quality deliverable.
                    Really? Have you mentioned that before?
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X