• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm on fire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on fire

The last couple of weeks, the MD made a slight effort to accomodate me. Now all my ideas are gaining traction
    things are happening and I have made some massive changes to a crucial application. The gurus are coming to see whats going on. and they like it

doing seven days a week, 14 hours a day
    There is no extra dosh, but the feeling of professional satisfaction (and pride. yes) is enormous

I have increased the performance of the main navigation from 4 seconds to .2 of a second AND made it future proof.

It's one of the biggest successes I ever had.

So listen up youse PM's and MD's

listen to the developers. they can make or break it.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

good for a raise at renewal then.

well done. Its satisfying when that happens, but make sure you don't become a busy fool.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I thought this was going to be about having a wank after chopping chillies
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Sometimes being quick isn't enough... but at least it's good news. Have a banana!
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Hi aussielong! How's that lazy BA?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

I didnt look at the ceiling or floor once. And I am giving the MD the credit for taking a punt

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

I didnt look at the ceiling or floor once. And I am giving the MD the credit for taking a punt

Only joking EO.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                So listen up youse PM's and MD's

listen to the developers. they can make or break it.
                Literally..

Thing is, if most developers were 'that' good, then it wouldn't take hiring another 1 or 2 devs to find one that can code efficiently the first time round. By my reckoning, if only 1 out of 3 writes efficient code (most likely lower), then most devs aren't worth listening to and the MDs and PMs are right to ignore

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                  Literally..

Thing is, if most developers were 'that' good, then it wouldn't take hiring another 1 or 2 devs to find one that can code efficiently the first time round. By my reckoning, if only 1 out of 3 writes efficient code (most likely lower), then most devs aren't worth listening to and the MDs and PMs are right to ignore
                  They listen to someone though, even if it is themselves.
                  In my case, the infrastructure guy had the MD's ear.
                  He is a dogmatic fellow and very inflexible. Most of what he says is true, but he was never prepared to break the rules, if the rules didnt work.
                  so when the performance hit the buffers, he had run out of ideas and the MD looked at me and said 'ok then , what have you got. You can have a week '

They all laughed when I said 'after a week, we will have to put a delay and an hourglass up, just so the users know the data has changed.'
                  well they aint laughing now

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    I'm pretty good to the BA and PM. Truth is I believe they should be sacked.

I'm always punting at the level of over achievement. You can't keep a good man down. But liars and chancers dilute progress to everyone's detriment. Keep doing this and we have to let Bob in.

Grasping the problems at a fundamental level, seeing the big picture and the detail, understanding the application top to bottom and being able to effect large scale change with minimal or no collateral damage, is top MO. Most devs cannot do this in a nontrivial app. This is my main skill.

Comment

Working...
                    X