• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thursday Puzzle: El Gricero and his assistant the lovely Malc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday Puzzle: El Gricero and his assistant the lovely Malc

The great card magician El Gricero is in town aided as always by the lovely Malc. El Gricero takes a standard 52 card deck and has a member of the CUK audience shuffle and pick 5 random cards, which they give to the sequined Malc. Malc looks at them and takes four of these cards which he then puts in a neat pile on the table. The fifth card he gives back to our audience member. El Gricero looks at the four cards discarded and to much amazement and applause identifies the fifth card. There were no secret signals, special words spoken, or sleight of hand and there are no distinguishing features on the cards. The four cards were stacked neatly face down before El Gricero picked them up and made his pronouncement.

The four cards were QH 8C 2C AS. What is the fifth card?

No googling or spoilers.

If you want to PM or post 4 cards of your own I will tell you the fifth.

I'm giving this some thought. It might be too clever for me though.

Comment

If it involves Malc and Gricer it has to be the Joker
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I am sure the fact you need 5 cards is significant. As there are only 4 suits.

Comment

My four cards are as follows:

Mr Bun The Baker
          Mrs Mug the Milkman's Wife
          Master Pipe the Plumber's Son
          Miss Plod the Policeman's Daughter

What is the 5th?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

jesus christ that's hard!! a good party trick though

even with googling and trying to calculate it I'm still not certain.. my suspected answer in white below..

5 hearts
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

How we all doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                How we all doing?
                My brain hurts!

Why did you make it so hard to google?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  The great card magician El Gricero is in town aided as always by the lovely Malc. El Gricero takes a standard 52 card deck and has a member of the CUK audience shuffle and pick 5 random cards, which they give to the sequined Malc. Malc looks at them and takes four of these cards which he then puts in a neat pile on the table. The fifth card he gives back to our audience member. El Gricero looks at the four cards discarded and to much amazement and applause identifies the fifth card. There were no secret signals, special words spoken, or sleight of hand and there are no distinguishing features on the cards. The four cards were stacked neatly face down before El Gricero picked them up and made his pronouncement.

The four cards were QH 8C 2C AS. What is the fifth card?

No googling or spoilers.

If you want to PM or post 4 cards of your own I will tell you the fifth.
                  Can this be solved from one example alone?

Or do we need more examples to work out the pattern?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Can this be solved from one example alone?

Or do we need more examples to work out the pattern?
                    You could work out a method and see if it fits or you can suggest four cards* and i'll give you the fifth

*Note to SM Standard playing cards please, no top trumps, D&D etc

Comment

Working...
                    X