• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electrocution: Are there any PSU's that provide mains voltage to a computer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrocution: Are there any PSU's that provide mains voltage to a computer?

I was using a volt meter to investigate the output voltages from a possibly-failed Dell DA-2 power supply unit, and my brother chastised me saying that if it had been outputting mains voltage I would have been electrocuted.
    He was right - I was holding the bare-metal leads in my hands.

Of course we all know that computer power supplies only provide 6 or 12 volt outputs, which are completely safe. And that implicitly I was trusting my life on this knowledge in this case.

But it occurred to me that perhaps there might be some that take the full 240 volts?

Bzzzzzz!

Its not voltage that kills you but ampage. Go lick the terminals on your 12v car battery and see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
      I was using a volt meter to investigate the output voltages from a possibly-failed Dell DA-2 power supply unit, and my brother chastised me saying that if it had been outputting mains voltage I would have been electrocuted.

Of course we all know that computer power supplies only provide 6 or 12 volt outputs, which are completely safe. And that implicitly I was trusting my life on this knowledge in this case.

But it occurred to me that perhaps there might be some that take the full 240 volts?

Bzzzzzz!
      I'm loving your new Avi.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
        I'm loving your new Avi.
        Of a poor homeless man who got his head stuck in a bin while everyone stood around filming him and laughing...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Bzzzzzz!
          The PSU outputs a low voltage to the computery bits so should be safe (ish) - might give a nice bang if you short the cables.
          However, some PSU's also have internal wiring to a case mounted power switch - this can be 240V mains and would zap you.

At the very least, I trust you were wearing a high viz jacket

Comment

Bzzzzzz!
            I don't think there was much chance of getting 230 volts but you could get
            a shock if you opened up the PSU. A good auto-range tester would soon tell you if there is a problem however, you may have to test it under load to get the correct reading.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Of a poor homeless man who got his head stuck in a bin while everyone stood around filming him and laughing...
              I don't see anyone standing about laughing. I did read that people phoned the Fire Brigade to get him out, and he was taken to hospital as a precaution to make sure he was OK.

There's no denying the inherent comedy of someone getting stuck in that predicament, though. Especially when the only harm done is a little hurt to the pride of a person that was doing something daft.

Comment

I don't see anyone standing about laughing.
                Well, somebody filmed it, and a lot of people laughed. I know I did.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'm loving your new Avi.
                  Oh thank you
                  Indeed I have to chastise the CUK community for not having a thread on that particular story - I would have but didn't do.

BTW to change the subject just a tad, tonight I am in Winchester and staying in a "family" guest house.
                  My room was on the second floor, but by mistake I stumbled drunkenly into the equivalent on the first floor.
                  Eek!
                  The door was unlocked, she was in her pajamas, and I nearly got a boner

Comment

Indeed I have to chastise the CUK community for not having a thread on that particular story - I would have but didn't do. ..
                    er, we did
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X