PDA

View Full Version : BAe/EADs merger

sasguru
8th October 2012, 11:10
WTF is that all about? Can't BAe survive on its own? Do we really want to give up our largest manufacturer to even partial control of the French/German governments? Would they do it? Isn't this is a really good way for BAe to lose US business? Has everyone gone mad?
Time for emigration, I think.

SueEllen
8th October 2012, 11:12

Yeah!!

DimPrawn
8th October 2012, 11:15

Somewhere with no Internet.

:banana:

eek
8th October 2012, 11:44
WTF is that all about? Can't BAe survive on its own?

No because the uk defence cuts fall on one supplier due to there being only 1 supplier once BAe bought Vickers, the shipyards....

Oh and the US cuts backs are hitting the non-Us suppliers more than the Us suppliers. and guess who is the only big non-Us supplier on the pentagon go to list?

vetran
8th October 2012, 12:18
get ready for a qinetico style resurgence with the shareholders being mainly politicians.

BrilloPad
8th October 2012, 12:24
I believe they will save 0.01% of their costs as they will not require 2 head offices.

This will cause the shares to rise by 0.1% - BOOMED.

Its all about the money.

Mich the Tester
8th October 2012, 12:28
I believe they will save 0.01% of their costs as they will not require 2 head offices.

This will cause the shares to rise by 0.1% - BOOMED.

Its all about the money.

Be careful, because your little joke may quickly transmogrify into "analysts' expectations" and if they then only save 0.009% on costs, the share price will fall by 0.1% and several thousand people will lose their jobs when some fool with an MBA presses the big red button on the redundancy randomiser.

Doggy Styles
8th October 2012, 12:33
25 years ago I worked for GEC-Marconi, one of the biggest companies in the UK at the time. Apparently what's left of it is part of BAe now.

sasguru
8th October 2012, 12:36
25 years ago I worked for GEC-Marconi, one of the biggest companies in the UK at the time. Apparently what's left of it is part of BAe now.

And now BAe will be the rump of EADs. You can bet the Germans and French will exercise their rights to protect their interests. The British government will have no stake in what is a strategic industry.
Apparently the Germans are demanding the HQ should be in MUnich:rolleyes:
Cheeky feckers, the must be laughing about how they've won the peace while the UK continues it's decline due to naive free market policies.

Doggy Styles
8th October 2012, 12:40
If so that would damage our economy. To say nothing of losing expertise and employment in another key industry.

darmstadt
8th October 2012, 13:15
WTF is that all about? Can't BAe survive on its own? Do we really want to give up our largest manufacturer to even partial control of the French/German governments? Would they do it? Isn't this is a really good way for BAe to lose US business? Has everyone gone mad?

I heard about this a few weeks ago on German radio and BFBS and was wondering, why? BAe is a very successful industry which is an important part of the British manufacturing base. I'm not too sure if it will go through as:

(a) it could be seen as a monopoly. I'm pretty sure the EU are already involved
(b) the Americans have problems with it. They're pretty happy to have BAe as a British company manufacturing it's top secret stuff but it will not have French or German companies doing that

vetran
8th October 2012, 13:16
If so that would damage our economy. To say nothing of losing expertise and employment in another key industry.

plus heaven forbid the French or Germans get nasty again. It's not like they have history is it?

I see smart bomb technology becoming dumb when the Germans log in and reprogram them just before declaring hostilities. The French will be trimming the trees so the Germans can get their tanks down the roads easily.

sometimes things shouldn't be outsourced/offshored /relinquished.

MarillionFan
8th October 2012, 13:16

:banana:

Clipheads house?

sasguru
8th October 2012, 13:21
If this was the US, Germans or French they'd be putting government money in to tide it over during a temporary bad patch.
Why, oh fooking why, does the UK insist on national self-immolation in the name of "free markets" and "market forces"?
We've followed that policy since the 80s and look at us now - it's not working is it?

Robinho
8th October 2012, 14:41
The only worry is that they'll tell johnny foreigner all our secrets.

The US will still buy off of EADS.

vetran
8th October 2012, 15:20
The only worry is that they'll tell johnny foreigner all our secrets.

The US will still buy off of EADS.

and all the nice jobs and tax take will move abroad. Apart from directorships for the MPs involved.

Robinho
8th October 2012, 15:22
and all the nice jobs and tax take will move abroad. Apart from directorships for the MPs involved.

There's absolutely no reason why that would happen.

The expertise and infrastructure are already here. UK has a big Eads presence via Airbus too.

Robinho
8th October 2012, 15:24
In fact given the state of France's tax structure i'd say there's a more likely chance the jobs would move over here.

SueEllen
8th October 2012, 15:31
In fact given the state of France's tax structure i'd say there's a more likely chance the jobs would move over here.

Not to mention their redundancy regulations.

vetran
8th October 2012, 15:34
who said they would move to France or Germany?

Robinho
8th October 2012, 15:34
Nobody.

xoggoth
8th October 2012, 16:43
Totally agree with SAS, so many of the major companies I have worked at, Blue Circle, Rediffusion, Marconi and plenty I didn't, like ICI, have been taken over by foreign companies, asset stripped and factories closed. Insane.

d000hg
9th October 2012, 08:01

:banana:A Muslim country and then we can say something rude about Islam and CUK will be blocked.

Mich the Tester
9th October 2012, 08:02
If this was the US, Germans or French they'd be putting government money in to tide it over during a temporary bad patch.
Why, oh fooking why, does the UK insist on national self-immolation in the name of "free markets" and "market forces"?
We've followed that policy since the 80s and look at us now - it's not working is it?

I think all the big German industrial companies have had government support, either in the form of direct support, tax relief or big government contracts at one time or another, and that includes Daimler Benz, VW, Bosch, Siemens, AEG and BMW; in fact although BMW proudly state that they're the only big car manufacturer not to have recieved state support since the oil crisis, the German police and government buy huge numbers of BMWs and other German products and BMW recieved a huge tax rebate to set up a factory in eastern Germany. I don't think anyone could really claim any of the companies in that list are somehow crappy or lacking success.

psychocandy
9th October 2012, 08:20
Probably not good news for the EADS site in Newport either.

Gibbon
9th October 2012, 08:49
Totally agree with SAS, so many of the major companies I have worked at, Blue Circle, Rediffusion, Marconi and plenty I didn't, like ICI, have been taken over by foreign companies, asset stripped and factories closed. Insane.

Yeah and they all helped each other out, Blue circle provided Radars for the F3 when Marconi couldn't deliver on time.:rolleyes:

Troll
10th October 2012, 12:56
BAE, EADS drop $45 billion merger plan (http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/10/news/companies/bae-eads/index.html?iid=HP_LN&hpt=hp_t1)

EADS and BAE Systems have dropped plans to merge after failing to win political support for a $45 billion deal that would have created a European aerospace and defense giant.

"It has become clear that the interests of the parties' government stakeholders cannot be adequately reconciled with each other or with the objectives that BAE Systems (BAESF) and EADS established for the merger," the companies said in a statement Wednesday.

As a shareholder I trust I will continue to enjoy above average dividends :banana:

Sysman
10th October 2012, 14:24

How We Happened to Sell Off Our Electricity (http://www.lrb.co.uk/v34/n17/james-meek/how-we-happened-to-sell-off-our-electricity)

"There’s only one country that’s stupid enough to sell off its electricity industry, and that’s Britain."

Well worth a read.

doodab
10th October 2012, 19:16
If BAE want to keep growing and access new markets they should buy and bankroll skylon / reaction engines. Much better strategy then merging with a company whose prime business they used to part own and worked hard to get out of.