• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hey EO! I've done it at last!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey EO! I've done it at last!

Visited Cannae that is; last week, whilst in Puglia.

Eerie, very eerie. The soil does look exceptionally fertile though!
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    The soil does look exceptionally fertile though!
    lol
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

wow

any photies ??

I tried to get to Alesia this summer and guess what??

no one knows where it is

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        wow

any photies ??

I tried to get to Alesia this summer and guess what??

no one knows where it is

Yes got some photies, but I think all have people and myself on.

Alesia:
        Classical historian and archaeologist Colin Wells took the view that the excavations at Alise-Sainte-Reine in the 1990s should have removed all possible doubt about the site and regarded some of the advocacy of alternative locations as "...passionate nonsense".[7]
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Did you visit Matera whilst you were down there - that's quite a place.

There's an amazing archaeological dig in the middle, closed last time I was there, but should be open again now.

Comment

Alesia:
            Classical historian and archaeologist Colin Wells took the view that the excavations at Alise-Sainte-Reine in the 1990s should have removed all possible doubt about the site and regarded some of the advocacy of alternative locations as "...passionate nonsense".[7]
            I dunno, the alternative claim seems to have some merit, particularly when you consider that the 'discovery' of Alesia in the 19th century was politically motivated....

BBC News - France's ancient Alesia dispute rumbles on

Comment

Originally posted by Toastiness View Post
              I dunno, the alternative claim seems to have some merit, particularly when you consider that the 'discovery' of Alesia in the 19th century was politically motivated....

BBC News - France's ancient Alesia dispute rumbles on
              It may have some merit, but as the article says there is too much reliance on Caesars text for my liking. His Gallic War was in fact a series of pamphlets to help spread his glory whilst away from Rome. This was his final and greatest victory over the Gauls and I don't think some exaggeration on his part about the 'theater' of victory would be out of character for a man whose self aggrandisement is well known. Also topographies change over time especially two thousand years; rivers become streams and vice versa etc.

Interesting though and care has to be taken with evidence. There was a roman building that was 'precisely dated' due to the year of a coin found in the mortar, but all that proves beyond doubt is that it was no earlier than the coin's production.

Comment

It may have some merit, but as the article says there is too much reliance on Caesars text for my liking. His Gallic War was in fact a series of pamphlets to help spread his glory whilst away from Rome. This was his final and greatest victory over the Gauls and I don't think some exaggeration on his part about the 'theater' of victory would be out of character for a man whose self aggrandisement is well known. Also topographies change over time especially two thousand years; rivers become streams and vice versa etc.

Interesting though and care has to be taken with evidence. There was a roman building that was 'precisely dated' due to the year of a coin found in the mortar, but all that proves beyond doubt is that it was no earlier than the coin's production.
                absolutely. The only people worth listening to, imo, are the archaeologists.
                It's inceiveable that you can pit a 100k people into a small area for a few days, have them fight a major battle and have no archaeological evidence. even after a couple of thousand years.

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

So where do you reckon Mount Badon is?

Here are Ambrosius Aurelianus's (King Arthur's) 12 battles, according to Gildas (I think) :

1 Mouth of river called the Glem

2, 3, 4, 5 a river called the Douglas in the territory of Linuis

6 a stream called Bassas

7 in the wood of Celidon (Cattoit Celidon)

8 Castle Gunnion

9 City of Legion (Chester obviously)

10 by the river Ribroit (River Ribble maybe?)

11 on the hill Agned Cathregonion

12 Mons Badonicus
                  I'd say up North somewhere. Maybe it was at Donington?
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    So where do you reckon Mount Badon is?

Here are Ambrosius Aurelianus's (King Arthur's) 12 battles, according to Gildas (I think) :

I'd say up North somewhere. Maybe it was at Donington?
                    If I had to guess, I would not go for a northern site. The saxons had not had the time to get too far, the slaughter indicates civilians which means they were on the back foot and the expansion was severely checked, so they could not have had to much of a toehold.
                    pure speculation of course.
                    I have been reading recently that most of the Saxon warfare was not military but economic. They expanded due to superior technology, trade links with germany and cultural advantages. With the odd battle thrown in.
                    The exact opposite of the norman conquest.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X