• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could this rights-for-shares business be a good way of avoiding tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could this rights-for-shares business be a good way of avoiding tax?

BBC News - George Osborne: Drop rights for a stake in firm

Start up contracting limited company. Invest £2000 of cash in the company account. Make oneself employee no. 1. Employee no. 1 exchanges rights for 100% of the shares in the company, valued at £2000. Employee no. 1 sees the value of his £2000 of shares appreciate as the day rate flows into the company. After a few years of taking a small wage, employee cashes in his shares at 0% CGT.

Am I missing something?

Originally posted by BusinessAnalyst2012 View Post
    Am I missing something?
    Yes, you already own the shares in the company.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Who's going to buy the shares????
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

for 'PSC's probably. For disguised BBC employees yes.

But for actual employees no, its stupid, they will issue everyone non executive with class Z shares in exchange for their rights, then stiff them on dividends, downgrade them when times are hard etc. The shares will be worthless in a few years.

The C level Managers of course will take a £50K tax free bonus.

When I took my current Job I had a decent bonus deal based on my performance, 3 forced rewrites of my contract later with the threat of dismissal my bonus is now dependant on the appearance of Haileys Comet and virgin Births. I can't imagine this is the last time it will happen. I would take it personally but they did the same to the whole of Europe.

After years of pay freezes etc for the staff The CEO still managed to take $20million in share options last year.

Fix it by changing the Unfair dismissal award to the equivalent of redundancy plus an equal size fine for the state so there is no cheap way of getting rid of people.

If there is a discrimination element treat it as a criminal offence, that way if the member of staff claims discrimination speculatively they can be prosecuted for wasting police time / perverting justice and if the employer is found guilty managers are prosecuted, a few of those and discrimination would disappear.
        Last edited by vetran; 9 October 2012, 08:47.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Get wifey to start the company. Buy 99% off wifey. Wifey keeps 1% for her part in the scam.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            Get wifey to start the company. Buy 99% off wifey. Wifey keeps 1% for her part in the scam.
            HMRC definitely won't ream you for doing this, go ahead.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              HMRC definitely won't ream you for doing this, go ahead.
              Ream is an under-rated word. I henceforth declare it my Word of the Day.

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
                Ream is an under-rated word. I henceforth declare it my Word of the Day.
                Yes I'll have 500
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                X