• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good places to stay for a week in the UK over Christmas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good places to stay for a week in the UK over Christmas

An Indian lady I work with asked yesterday if I could suggest anywhere good to stay for a week or so in the UK over Christmas.

Had to admit I was stumped, as the thought of going away for Christmas would never occur to me. But I'd be interested in any sensible ideas for a break (in the UK - so somewhere like Tahiti, while doubtless a good place to go, will not be relevant in the circs).

She is married, with no kids AFAIK, and Hindu. So booze and turkey will be OK, but roast beef is presumably out.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Bath would be good. They have the huge Christmas market, the Baths, places of interest etc, lots of things are open.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I did Christmas in Kiwi land one year: it was great not having to worry about visiting relatives or pretending to be nice to people you never see at any other time, so I fully understand going away for the season.

Oh & the weather was better too, although it was a little odd seeing Santa wearing sun glasses.

But for a UK break I would consider some of the quieter places in Scotland
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

I stayed in Keswick one Christmas and Ambleside one New Year.
        fantastic and I would highly recommend it
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What about The New Forest, see wild deer, traditional english country feel about it (assuming it snows)
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

The problem is that most B&B's are shut during Christmas. Most pubs are shut during Christmas. Most restaurants are shut. So taking a break in UK during Christmas is a lot of hassle. Best to fly to Morocco or Dubai etc.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
              I did Christmas in Kiwi land one year: it was great not having to worry about visiting relatives or pretending to be nice to people you never see at any other time, so I fully understand going away for the season.

Oh & the weather was better too, although it was a little odd seeing Santa wearing sun glasses.

But for a UK break I would consider some of the quieter places in Scotland
              Scotland is nice, for some reason I have no memory of New Years eve after about 11:00 pm.

We're off to NZ this Christmas. Unfortunately that where all the relatives are, so no escape. Even worse, some of the outlaws are dragging their feet about a christmas get together and now the missus is upset about it. WE ARE COMING FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD AND ITS COSTING ME A FORTUNE IN BILLABLE DAYS. feckers.

Looking forward to a bucket of fat juicy green lipped mussels though.
              Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                What about The New Forest, see wild deer, traditional english country feel about it (assuming it snows)
                Good idea. A log cabin http://www.sandyballs.co.uk/

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Try The Ceilidh Place in Ullapool, bit of a trek but worth it.
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

three chimneys - restaurant and accommodation, isle of skye, scotland

I'll see her there.

Comment

Working...
                    X