• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn Endorsements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn Endorsements

Anyone else getting lots of emails regarding endorsements that don't appear in your profile?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

I've had one. Wasn't sure what it was for.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Anyone else getting lots of emails regarding endorsements that don't appear in your profile?
      I think they are replacing the feature, part way through the process I think. Getting lots of strange requests.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Makes me lmao that agent's are being endorsed for I.T. skills like Test Automation, Manual Testing etc for crying out loud get it right
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          I've not been getting the e-mails because I've got those switched off, but I've been receiving endorsements I didn't ask for and being spammed by LinkedIn to endorse my Contacts.

It's a decent enough idea, but it's been implemented very badly. Unlike "recommendations", which are unsolicited (at least by LinkedIn), you get spammed to endorse people via an obtrusive panel that appears right at the top of their profile. As if that weren't bad enough, if you click the link to endorse them, that one action causes you to have apparently endorsed them for five random skills. The first time I did that I had been expecting to be taken to a screen to let me select which of their skills to endorse. I know people have made the same mistake with me, as I've been endorsed for skills in technologies that didn't even exist at the time I worked with the people in question. It devalues the whole process if your endorsements don't match up with the timeline in which you claim to have acquired skills, so I've just been deleting them for now and letting my recommendations speak for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
            I've not been getting the e-mails because I've got those switched off, but I've been receiving endorsements I didn't ask for and being spammed by LinkedIn to endorse my Contacts.

It's a decent enough idea, but it's been implemented very badly. Unlike "recommendations", which are unsolicited (at least by LinkedIn), you get spammed to endorse people via an obtrusive panel that appears right at the top of their profile. As if that weren't bad enough, if you click the link to endorse them, that one action causes you to have apparently endorsed them for five random skills. The first time I did that I had been expecting to be taken to a screen to let me select which of their skills to endorse. I know people have made the same mistake with me, as I've been endorsed for skills in technologies that didn't even exist at the time I worked with the people in question. It devalues the whole process if your endorsements don't match up with the timeline in which you claim to have acquired skills, so I've just been deleting them for now and letting my recommendations speak for themselves.
            Only from your/our perspective which is also dependant upon the reason we are using LinkedIn.

This type of 'professional' function is the equivalent of FB 'FarmTulip' in that it gets people clicking for the sake of it and ups their advertising revenue. So it has significant value from their perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
              Makes me lmao that agent's are being endorsed
              FTFY

ps I almost forgot :

Comment

What did I spell incorrectly?
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                  Only from your/our perspective which is also dependant upon the reason we are using LinkedIn.

This type of 'professional' function is the equivalent of FB 'FarmTulip' in that it gets people clicking for the sake of it and ups their advertising revenue. So it has significant value from their perspective.
                  Yup, there is that. The optimist in me would like to think that if this feature were too spammy and contrary to the best interests of users, it'd be self-defeating for the purpose of making money for LinkedIn. However, tbh LinkedIn's approach to customers has been spammy in the extreme for years. It doesn't seem to have done them any harm. (e.g., those bloody annoying repeated "reminders" you get if you're not a member and you "forget" to accept an invitation someone sends you. Funny how they never thought to add an "Actually, I meant to ignore you, now piss off" button to such reminders).

Unfortunately, it does seem to pay to use slimy marketing tactics like the above, and to ignore users' preferences. With companies like LinkedIn and Facebook, users aren't the customer, they're the product being sold to marketers.

PS: Bugger, I + repped the wrong post above. Still, at least I got the right FM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                    What did I spell incorrectly?
                    You got your apostrophe's wrong

Comment

Working...
                    X