• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office collections

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office collections

Just been given an envelope by the office toady with some money in it and a card. Apparently I am to sign the card and add some money from my own pocket because one of my male "colleagues", who I know of only in passing, has had a baby.

Now even as a permie I used to find this a tiresome tradition. So he/she got pregnant/married/promoted/sacked/... tulip happens, deal with it.

I've only been here a few weeks, I'll probably sign the card with benign congratulations and throw some money in the bag rather than mark myself out as a grumpy git. Actually, the people here are mostly a nice bunch, it's just the attitude of Mr Toady that is grating on me.

Maybe I should expense it as client entertainment.

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Just been given an envelope by the office toady with some money in it and a card. Apparently I am to sign the card and add some money from my own pocket because one of my male "colleagues", who I know of only in passing, has had a baby.

Now even as a permie I used to find this a tiresome tradition. So he/she got pregnant/married/promoted/sacked/... tulip happens, deal with it.

I've only been here a few weeks, I'll probably sign the card with benign congratulations and throw some money in the bag rather than mark myself out as a grumpy git. Actually, the people here are mostly a nice bunch, it's just the attitude of Mr Toady that is grating on me.

The one that gets me more is people who pass around sponsorship forms and everyone is not only obliged to sponsor them for there 100 metre walk, but everyone can see how much you sponsor them. I don't have a problem with sponsoring people, or giving money to charity. But i think it needs to be something genuinely challenging. I also refuse to give money to animal charities, because i honestly couldn't care less about neglected animals when there are the likes of Cancer Research and BHF which are in need of funds and some idiot is collecting for a horse to get its hair cut in peru.

Comment

..one of my male "colleagues", who I know of only in passing, has had a baby.
      why are you giving money? the guy will be rich from tv deals, there aren't that many men who've given birth
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Just pass it on to the next person or back to Mr. Toad later on.

I generally refuse to do 'pressure sponsorship' on principle, regardless if I support the cause, I'd go and catch them separately about it if I wanted to.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I hate all that stuff, the first one i get i cross my name off the list and pass it to the next person i never put money in or sign them even if i do know them, i then find the person who maintains the list and ask them to remove me from it

or you could just pass it to the person who's birthday\leaving card it is, you don't tend to get them again.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I generally refuse to do 'pressure sponsorship' on principle, regardless if I support the cause, I'd go and catch them separately about it if I wanted to.
            +1
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

<Placeholder for NLUK to say "Part and parcel of the organisation">

When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Do you work in my office? Had exactly the same thing. I usually sign the card no matter who they are, but only chuck in some cash if I know and like the person.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

+2

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  <Placeholder for NLUK to say "Part and parcel of the organisation">

Too right, it's one collection now, before you know it you will be organising the xmas party!!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My pet hate is people signing the card and not putting in Totally gets my goat.

I don't sign or put money in unless I like the person (short list for me, I'm totally a bitch in the office).

As a permie, I don't think contractors should be involved unless they ask to be.
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X