• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VPN & Subnets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN & Subnets

Using a Draytek 2800g

VPN works fine, However the remote user get's handed out the subnet of 255.255.255.255

I need the remote user to have a Subnet of 255.255.255.0 (To play a network game)

Any idea's

Dunno if sasguru looks at this forum, But just in case

------------
    Sasguru

No. Next
    Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

The subnet is from the user's ISP (i.e. when you get a fixed IP you are assigned a subnet of 255.255.255.255 because you are only allowed to use that one IP)

You need to assign an internal IP to the remote client. Try using an ADSL router that supports NAT or open the relevant ports on your firewall. This depends on the game you're playing.

This site should help...
    clicky
    Last edited by ladymuck; 16 June 2006, 21:10.

Comment

My IP range is

192.168.2.x

VPN user gets

The VPN works - the subnet needs to be inline with my network in order to use an application

Comment

The remote user has been given an IP on your subnet. If they had 255.255.255.0 as the mask, then they wouldn't be able to access your network. as any IP on your network would be considered local and not routerd.

Why do you need them to have a particular subnet mask?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Trying to start a VPN game of Warcraft III

There is no way of telling the client what the IP of the Host is, They are unable to see each other due to the subnet's being different.

Comment

Why over a vpn? If you know the remote machines IP then get your router to allow access to that IP only on the appropriate port number.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

DaveB,

This will not work with this game

Comment

Originally posted by wc2
                Trying to start a VPN game of Warcraft III

There is no way of telling the client what the IP of the Host is, They are unable to see each other due to the subnet's being different.
                If you mean the two machines find each other on the LAN with broadcasts, then I don't think that'll work over VPN.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                  If you mean the two machines find each other on the LAN with broadcasts, then I don't think that'll work over VPN.
                  Have to agree.

It was fun trying

Comment

Working...
                  X