• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which is worse - Islam or Wonga?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is worse - Islam or Wonga?

Newcastle's Muslim stars told not to play in new kit

Newcastle United’s Muslim stars have been warned that wearing the club’s new sponsored shirts would infringe upon Sharia Law.
    The club announced a new £24 million shirt deal with controversial moneylenders Wonga on Tuesday, and now the Muslim Council of Britain have attempted to intervene.

United have received widespread criticism after unveiling the four-year deal with the short-term loan company, and the MCB has now piled on further pressure.

Four Muslim players represented the club against Manchester United on Sunday – Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse, Cheick Tiote and Hatem Ben Arfa – and all are now being urged to make a stand.

Shaykh Ibrahim Mogra, assistant secretary general of the MCB, said: "There are two aspects to this. We have the rulings of the religious law and we have the individual's choice and decision on how they want to follow or not follow that rule.

"The idea is to protect the vulnerable and the needy from exploitation by the rich and powerful.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

If we set aside the Islam angle, I like the idea of people making a stand against dodgy sponsors. Isn't that to be applauded?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      If we set aside the Islam angle, I like the idea of people making a stand against dodgy sponsors. Isn't that to be applauded?
      Yep. I'm not particularly keen on these short term loan sharks either and if people take a stand against them, fine by me. The club should put a bit more thought into this before signing the sponsorship deal.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Who decides what constitutes a "dodgy sponsor"?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Yep. I'm not particularly keen on these short term loan sharks either and if people take a stand against them, fine by me.
          So you have a problem with people entering into mutually beneficial agreements?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Who decides what constitutes a "dodgy sponsor"?
            There's a list of 'parasitic types that the world doesn't really need', and loan sharks are on it.

Comment

The club should put a bit more thought into this before signing the sponsorship deal.
              We are talking about a Club that recently had "Northern Rock" emblazoned across their chests though. I don't think "thought" comes into it.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

There's a list of 'parasitic types that the world doesn't really need', and loan sharks are on it.
                But the people need or desire the loans, otherwise why are they taking them out?

Comment

Was there the same objection when they were sponsored by northern rock who could have made a profit ?

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                    But the people need or desire the loans, otherwise why are they taking them out?
                    'Desire' and 'need' are very different things.

Comment

Working...
                    X