• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

10 Things That Will Feck Up Your Business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Things That Will Feck Up Your Business

link

The Government

The Government, or more specifically, HMRC and Customs & Excise will conspire to **** up your small business. They are the single most inflexible and sinister organisations you will ever come across. If you are Vodaphone or Phillip Green you can quite happily pay **** all tax and get away with it all day long. If you are a plumber, hairdresser or any other small business that accidentally flouts their rules they will come down on you like a ton of bricks and will not stop until you have either paid them back, killed yourself or are ******* bankrupt. That is because you don’t count. BIG Business counts because BIG business lends yachts and villas to politicians and makes donations to political parties. Don’t believe me? Try putting your VAT return in late and see what happens. Still don’t believe me? Ask any small business for their HMRC horror story.
    Not from David Icke but tweeted by Jeremy Vine, oddly enough....
    Last edited by wurzel; 11 October 2012, 08:25.

Shall we try and guess whether he is employed directly by the BBC or is one of its many "freelancers"?

Here's a helpful hint:
    https://www.duedil.com/director/910918618/jeremy-vine

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
      Shall we try and guess whether he is employed directly by the BBC or is one of its many "freelancers"?

Here's a helpful hint:
      I guess the problem is once a freelancer, no longer a freelancer.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Wandering slightly off topic

Try putting your VAT return in late and see what happens.
        in days of old when you did things with paper HMRC would send you a jolly helpful reminder that you quarter VAT return was due

Now everyone has to use the electronic filing thingy - how come they don't drop you an email saying the same thing?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post

Here's a helpful hint:

Hopefully soon this freelancer ethos will filter into the BBC far enough to discourage them from fielding cretinous ignorant imbecile commentators who whine on air about contractor company tax arrangements "not being fair" and how contractors are avoiding tax as if they are committing a crime.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I think the key a few people on here (especially the noobs) need to learn is:

You will be the main thing that ****s up your business, because until you get partners, then you are totally responsible for the decisions that will ultimately determine success or failure. No pressure. Harry S Truman had a sign on his desk that said “ The buck stops here”. I have that sign on my desk and I suggest you get one as well. The quicker you realise that the business is down to you and you alone the better. Take complete responsibility, work hard, focus and crack on. There are very few shoulders to cry on and remember – no one else really gives a **** about you or your business.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post

in days of old when you did things with paper HMRC would send you a jolly helpful reminder that you quarter VAT return was due

Now everyone has to use the electronic filing thingy - how come they don't drop you an email saying the same thing?
              You can register for email reminders but stupidly these go out a week before the VAT quarter end, so by the time you have the information required to complete the return you will have probably forgotten about it.

Comment

BBC-->tax avoidance-->BBC-->Jimmy Saville--> Watch it.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

“The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post

As its YOUR responsibility (see 1st part of the original link) why not set up your own reminders? We all have a calendar program of choice, or those with a windows machine have a vista gadget or what every they are now called counting down to VAT due date, PAYE due date etc etc
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X