• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Bank?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Bank?

The company I formed my LTD with is offering me £50 if I sign up to a Barclays account.

My accountant is offering to setup a Cater Allen account.

What should I go for? I am leaning towards Barclays because they have branches and counter access.

Cater Allen they're very good. No problems in 4 years.

Comment

Cater Allen are part of Sandanter. What used to be very good service is gradually but consistently detirorating, along the lines of disinterest.

Barclays are likely to be as good as your manager contract there.

Barclays will have the edge if it have any negative history, and need to eyeball someone at branch level.

We refer to both, and, to be honest, it's a fine choice.

On balance your relationship with your accountant will be longer term than your relationship with the formation agent, so there's something to be said for running with their recommendation.

Note, Barclays don't pay commission to accountants, Cater Allen do.

Comment

Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
        I am leaning towards Barclays because they have branches and counter access.
        With Cater Allen you can use Santander branches for counter access.

Comment

I have been with Cater for 5 years now, I have not noticed a drop in their service levels

Comment

Originally posted by aceboy View Post
            I have been with Cater for 5 years now, I have not noticed a drop in their service levels
            Agree with the above although I've been with them 7 years.

I'm not sure you can use Santander branches as any cheques I've had to pay into the Cater Allen account have to go through RBS branches.

Comment

Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
              The company I formed my LTD with is offering me £50 if I sign up to a Barclays account.

My accountant is offering to setup a Cater Allen account.

What should I go for? I am leaning towards Barclays because they have branches and counter access.
              I would go with Barclays or any other mainstream. I have had difficulties getting paid into Carter Allen. Still not sure why though but clearing of payments seem to take longer

Comment

I think most contractors get free banking with CA, are Barclays offering that?
                I haven't phoned recently, but CA service has always been impecable, courteous UK staff picking up phone on first ring and able to handle anything without putting you through to someone else.

TBH, I have only required counter services twice in 5 years - to deposit cheques for small pieces of work done for local businesses who don't do bank transfers. As another poster says, you can do this at RBS with no hassles, although that might not be so easy outwith Scotland.
                I believe you can also just use the post.

I've actually toyed with moving my personal banking from HBOS to CA given the awful service I get from HBOS. I can't imagine Barclays being much better.
                Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by ijobboard View Post
                  I would go with Barclays or any other mainstream. I have had difficulties getting paid into Carter Allen. Still not sure why though but clearing of payments seem to take longer
                  How can clearing take longer? I really dont believe that.
                  Its standardised in the UK.

Maybe because you are using Carter Allen

I would suggest the costs would be cheaper on CA and service levels seem as good as anywhere.
                  Free business bank account l IT contractor bank account l Cater Allen free banking :: Contractor UK

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
                    Agree with the above although I've been with them 7 years.
                    Originally posted by aceboy View Post
                    In fairness my dealings are mostly with the intermediary support people / account set ups. Once the account is running smoothly we don't have much to do with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X